21. Prom

THE FIRST DANCE OF THEIR LIVES

''There's no way you saw Nick.'' Melissa repeated for the twenty-fifth time while I plopped down on a random couch in the candle lit room.

Damn, the ride to the house had been long, what was it with Jake trying to talk me into telling the circle everything.

''He's dead.''

''We know that Melissa,'' I croaked out. I didn't want to, but I had to adopt the somber sorrowing mood everyone else seemed to be in.

''It was Nick,'' Jake spoke up at last.
Ever since we'd gotten out of the car, he'd looked anywhere but at anyone of us. ''He even had pictures of our parents and of Faye and Ivy.''

I hadn't teared up about this since Nick's wake but the fact that in the only two photos that he'd kept, there was one of me, him and Faye meant so much that I thought I could have broken down here and now.

''No,'' Adam stood up to pace around the room, ''this is impossible. Even by our insane standards.''

''Maybe not,'' John started as he walked closer to the little group of us.
What was he doing here again?
''It's possible that when Nick drowned, the demon didn't. And kept his body alive.''

Then how do you explain the pictures?
Would some random demon keep them as a memory? I don't think so.

''Looks like our insane standards just got a lot insaner.'' Faye shrugged dramatically before being interrupted by Melissa, who finally seemed to believe it.

''The point is, Nick is alive!''

''Oh,'' Lovestruck by daddy Cassie -yes I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hated this man- started as she leaned on the back of a chair and stared at Melissa, ''He's not the same Nick we know. I saw him.''

And as happy as I was that Nick was back, I was forced to admit that I'd seen the dead bodies he'd scattered around too.

''He definitely seems more into massacring people than he used to.''

''He's killing witch hunters!'' Melissa protested and looked at the collective, ''Isn't that what we're trying to do?''
No, not really. Keep them away, more like it.
Despite what John thought, not everything called for violence.

And it didn't seem like there were that many witch hunters after us anyway since Luke and Isaac had set things up after Jake had come back to Chance Harbor. That was it, a small category, low class hunters.
But the deal, the real deal had come right after John walked into our lives.
At this point it was almost as if he'd left the door wide open.