3. Loner

THE LAST DANCE

The binding ceremony had been quite a show with Diana's weird poem and the fire going off the way that it did but at least none of us felt that rush when we were on our own anymore

I didn't feel that much connected to the others as I thought I would but honestly, it was probably for the best.

I roamed the hallways, not late this once while looking for my keys in my bag.
They always seemed to fall deeper into the mess that was in it, which really pissed me off every time.

I looked up just in time to see Diana and Faye talking or more like Faye verbally assaulting Diana.
This early in the morning, really?
They were before Faye's locker and were in an argument but at least I was relieved to know that they couldn't hurt each other after the binding ceremony, at least not with magic.

Diana suddenly turned and walked away to the next hallway, leaving a very pissed off Faye in her trail.
I rolled my eyes and resumed my looking for my keys as my legs carried me to class.

''Hold on.''
Somebody caught my arm before I got there and when I looked up as I was yanked back, I realized it was Faye.

''Oh, hi,'' I'd decided to be a little nicer to her, at least for the few days to come since she must have still felt awful about the Sally accident. ''Your hair looks nice today. You should wear it like that more often.'' Her hair was as down as usual but it was straight instead of wavy which added a nice change.

''I know. I talked to Diana and thanks to this stupid circle thing, we can only do spell by groups so, care to help?'' She pointed to her locker and I sighed, adjusting my bag farther up my shoulder.

''Sure. But, did you try the combination?''

''Why is everyone asking me that? Hold it.'' I took a hold of one half of the lock as she did the other and we whispered the spell together, ''Lock unlock.''

I felt my energy connecting to hers and suddenly this warmth spread from the tip of my fingers straight to the very core of my bones.
I shivered and looked at Faye just as I dropped the lock.

''Wow, I definitely understand what Diana meant by connected, now. This is awesome! Don't you think?''

''Uh, no I don't!'' Faye grabbed a few books from her locker and slammed it shut.
''I don't like to be codependent. It ruins my chi.''

''I hardly think that-''
''Anyway, see you in class.'' I nodded but didn't do anything else as she cut me off and ran in the opposite direction.

I still had the lock in my hand so I reached out and closed her locker for her since she obviously wasn't going to. However, she did stop mid stride in the middle of the hallway to turn back to me.
''Thanks, by the way.''