The Silver-Tongued Man

And so, the members of the Kingdom of Science immediately got to work when a new day broke. Kohaku wielded both knives in her hands and cleanly cut a field of wild foxtail millet. Chalk was the most excited, barking at the large amounts of his favourite toy before Rikona gave him a stem. With the dog happily rolling on the ground with it, she dumped the rest into a few baskets and carried it back to Chrome's storeroom.

"We're making gourmet survival food from scratch." explained Senku while holding a bunch in his hands before beating it onto a rock. "This is so exciting."

While he, Suika and Rikona were hitting the wheat, Kohaku stared at the bunch in her hands with disgust. "You can't be saying that this wild foxtail millet is edible." she stated with much doubt. "Count me out."

"We can't eat it like this." clarified Rikona. "That's why we must whack it until the husks are removed. Wild foxtail millet is rich in Vitamin B12 that's important in maintaining a healthy heart, smooth functioning nervous system, as well as good skin and hair growth. It's also been found to be rich in calcium necessary for healthy bones. It's the ancestor of rice, but was costlier in certain countries in the modern world."

Once all the husks are removed, the remnants of the millet were dumped into a large pot. "It looks filthy." commented Kohaku with both arms folded.

"It's so hairy." added Suika.

Just then, Chrome finally returned with a large pot of water. As he sat on the ground panting from exhaustion, Kohaku pouted the millet into the water while Senku stirred with a long stick. Once it was done, Rikona sieved the mixture until all that was left was a basket of damp millet which was then grounded on the rocks to create a soft green texture.

"Now, the wild foxtail millet flour is done!" announced Senku, who exchanged high-fives with the rest.

For starters, he cracked a wild bird's egg into a bowl containing the foxtail millet flour, followed by ash lye and potassium carbonate before kneading the mixture into a dough. When the dough was no longer sticky, he rolled it thinly and folded it to create a few layers. With a cleaver, he began thinly cutting it into strands of noodles.

Meanwhile, Rikona had been occupied with the double soup. With two pots of water prepped on the stove, she dumped in a whole chicken, bones, stalks of green onions, garlic cloves, black peppercorns, and few sprinkles of salt to make chicken stock in the bigger pot. Suika, on the other hand, helped to prepare the fish stock in the smaller one with fresh fish, green onions, garlic, and the same seasoning. Once they started simmering, she used a wooden spoon to skim off the scum floating atop before letting the flame continue its job.

The stock was so fragrant that the slight whiff made Kohaku and Chrome drooled. "This aroma..." they murmured.

But the black-haired lass wasn't done yet. After removing the fish stock from the heat, it was time for the meat or chashu to go with the ramen. In an empty pot, she placed a block of meat and filled it up with water before placing it on the stove. Ten to twenty minutes passed, the water had already been simmering. Rikona removed all the water and then added some dried mushrooms and seaweed, seasoning it with salt and raw honey before letting the meat simmer for another hour. She then proceeded to grill some ribs while boiling the noodles in a large pot of water.

"We had a name for this insanely good scientific food 3,700 years ago." boasted Senku while pouring equal ratios of chicken and fish stock into five bowls, followed by the noodles he merely fished out with a pair of chopsticks. Rikona garnished them with bamboo shoots, slices of chashu, the meat, and sprinkles of green onions. It's finally done. "It's called ramen."

Although, the three primitive people were skeptical about the noodles. "But this is actually foxtail millet, isn't it?" remarked Kohaku, who was nudging on her bowl of ramen with her chopsticks.