To The Sky

"I see." The captain studied the ship concept in his hand. "So this was what Ri drew, huh?"

"Yeah," responded Senku, watching the ongoing construction before them. "She said she'd been seeing flashes of the ship that she drew with a friend. I'm ten billion percent that friend is you. "

The blond man was silent momentarily, no one could tell what he was thinking from his vacant expression. But that would soon be interrupted by his signature laugh as he looked back at the construction. "Well done, you all," he praised as he rolled the paper. "I can't wait to have this."

"Ohoho!" Kaseki bounced up and down in excitement. "Isn't it exciting to see the ship?"

"Can this ship take us to the other side of the planet?" questioned Senku, placing both hands on his hips.

With a very big closed-eye smile, Gen gleefully refuted, "Nah, there is no way that's possible. Not with the sailing technique of a captain who's used to modern ships. A primitive ship like this depends mostly on technique-"

"Before I answer that question, you should retreat and protect this ship," Ryusui interrupted all of a sudden, catching everyone by surprise with his seriousness. "A sailor's instinct is always right. A sudden rise in temperature. It's now 14 centigrades."

Senku let out a chuckle as he checked the thermometer in his hand. "He's right," he said. "It is exactly 14 centigrades." Gen let out a gasp, shocked by the accuracy.

"The humidity is now 90%," continued the sailor. "The wind is coming from south-south-west. It could be because of the Yangtze River air mass pushing the Siberian air mass upward. Capillatus clouds are closing in at a speed of 60 km/h. In other words, soon the storm of spring, also known as the May Storm, is coming!"

What was supposedly a good day for a new adventure had swiftly turned into a stormy afternoon. Two young children had a grand project, one that many would've found impossible for them to build. But to no one's surprise - or rather, as Rikona's parents and François had expected - they only needed three months. Alas, after some finishing touches, it was ready to hit the waters. But that would have to come to a halt when just as they were about to wheel it out, grey clouds shrouded the sky, and the huffing wind rose up rattling the asphalt roof of the wooden shed. They heard tinkling sounds as the initial pearls of rain poured, before it wasn't long the downpour intensified, as if there was a barrage of ball bearings hitting the roof.

This was normal, thought the boy. He wasn't necessarily keen on the rain, but he'd long accepted that some things are just not meant to be. He's used to waiting for the rain to stop while he occupied his time with something else. But why was he discontented, especially after seeing the subtle pout she's adorning?

"Looks like we'll have to test it another time," she sighed.

"Are you sad, Ri?" he asked.

"Not really. Father used to tell me that we can't have everything the way we want them to be." She looked at him, a sheepish smile on her face as she shrugged, "But I thought that it would be nice for us to try the boat after working on it for so long. I was looking forward to it because it's the first time we are going on the water. I guess I shouldn't expect anything. "

The young Nanami didn't like that expression. No, it has nothing to do with how she looked. He'd very much prefer seeing that excitement through her gleaming eyes and smiles subtler than his own, though he knew she was feeling no less than him. There must be something he could do to make her smile again. But what could he do to stop the rain? Not like he could, though.

"Oh!" he suddenly exclaimed, as if a lightbulb had just switched on inside his mind. "I have an idea! I'll learn about the weather!"

"Learn about the weather?" The girl blinked owlishly at him. That's a strange declaration, especially at a time like this.