Prologue of Dr. Stone

Senku was in a dilemma. In a world without advanced medical technology, having severe injuries that required treatment beyond regular drugs or natural remedies could only mean a near-death situation. He'd only produced sulpha drugs, but neither he nor Rikona had taken a step forward in making another one for medical purposes; especially one that was absolutely needed in surgeries. Perhaps it was a reminder for him. Now that the Kingdom had more people, they would need more necessities for the future.

It's bad enough that they had a casualty on their side, but it's even worse when that person was the only doctor in the entire Kingdom, should he exclude himself who had medical knowledge on par with her. No, he wasn't worried about that fact alone, given that many people - including Tsukasa - had helped enough to buy some time until she's patched up. He was worried about the next part - that there was a very scarce possibility that Rikona would be able to survive from the fatal wound.

"What's next, Senku-chan?"

Gen's voice snapped him out of his thoughts. The green-haired scientist was kneeling in front of a set of apparatus; one boiling flask atop the fire connected to a conical flask by a glass pipe wrapped in a piece of thick leather in the centre. Across him were Kaseki and the mentalist watching with curiosity.

"Many modern people have been revived." he began before proceeding to pour some water onto the leather. "At least one of them knows this, I hope. Add vinegar, chlorine and sulphur, and you get chloroacetic acid. If you add in sodium hydroxide, then you get sodium chloroacetate. Then using the sodium cyanide produced from blood and iron, you get cyanoacetic acid-"

"I don't think they know." was Gen's deadpanned response. He could already imagine the revived modern people agreeing with him after hearing such jargon.

But Senku merely continued, "Add in alcohol to make ethyl cyanoacetate. Finally, a little formaldehyde. Voila, tissue adhesive for wounds is done."

It was then the mentalist understood what he meant, as his eyes widened with a glimmer of hope. "So can we use that to save Ri-chan?"

The despondent look on the scientist's face said otherwise. "This can only close her wound to buy her some time." Gen's smile immediately flipped. Albeit the raging storm in his heart, Senku had to remind him of one thing, "I'm not a wizard. I can't fix the damaged internal organ."

It was at that moment, Gen finally understood what it meant someone says that their heart dropped to their stomach. He had to admit, though. He didn't like that feeling.

However, that wasn't going to demotivate Senku from finding any solution. In fact, he had one in mind. Should one know, they'd say it was dubious and dangerous, but to him, it was better than nothing. He would've revealed it to her soon after he'd extracted the tissue adhesive, but he knew that she was still passed out from the excessive blood loss. So before he could even think about it, surgery would have to come first.

Later that day, he went straight into the cave where the now awoken Rikona was transferred to. She was laid on a higher rock platform with a large blanket over her. A large hole was cut, revealing the area where her fatal wound was located. She had what appeared to be a small clay pot that had drips of crimson liquid placed through a ring attached to the top of a metal pole next to the stone bed. A large lightbulb attached to a concave mirror was placed by her legs to provide more light.

Tsukasa and Gen were already inside, along with Kaseki who was donned in a surgical gown tied at the back, a large thick piece of white cloth covering the bottom part of his face, and a pair of white surgical gloves. He'd been preparing the needles and sterilising them. Once they were ready, he laid them on a clean tray that was placed on another stone platform near Rikona's bed. Senku joined him in putting on the surgery attire and prepared himself for the surgery.