Steam Gorilla Powered Up

"Ri-chan, are you serious about the whole idea of adding paper to the Steam Gorilla?" asked the dubious mentalist. Ever since Senku revealed that idea, Gen had been trailing behind the young doctor trying to make some sense of it.

Rikona, who was in the process of taking out a large pot, glanced at him over her shoulder and nonchalantly replied, "Yes, I am. Is there something a matter?"

"I don't mean doubt you or Senku-chan, but is it such a good idea to add something so flimsy to the automobile?" was his question.

She was certainly confused, but it didn't take long for her to understand why he was so worked up. "Ah, I see your concern. Maybe Mr. Scientist and I should've phrased it better. But don't worry. You'll eventually see what we meant."

Before he could utter a word, Suika's voice chimed from afar, "Everyone has collected so much!" The pair looked over, seeing the girl carrying a large heap of grass, along with Shovel and Ruri.

"Any grass will do?" asked the blonde woman while presenting a bunch in her hands.

"Yeah, most of them will work." said the green-haired scientist casually, keeping both arms folded across his chest, before looking over to Suika. "Bring these to Doc. She'll know what to do."

"Roger!" was the girl's enthusiastic response.

By the time she reached the said doctor, the latter was already preparing a large pot placed on top of the firewood. After dumping the grass inside, the pot was then filled with water to the brim followed by some sodium hydroxide before the concoction was brought to a boil. Moments later, the once clear, transparent water had turned gooey. Removing the pot from the stove, the sticky grass was then washed, layered atop each other, and pressed by a large boulder before they were finally dried under the hot sun. Alas, the Kingdom of Science achieved paper!

"It looks just like paper!" commented the amazed Gen. "Making paper is so easy."

"With this, we can draw more blueprints easily." announced Rikona.

"Drawing on leather was such a waste of resource." stated Kaseki, agreeing with her.

Of course, like the majority of their inventions, there were two types of the group - ones that know the value of paper; and ones who don't understand.

"What's that?" asked Kinro.

To prove a point, Magma grabbed a piece of paper and easily poked a hole through it with his fingers. "What does this thin thing do?" he mocked.

"Are you serious, Senku, Rikona?" asked the dubious Kohaku. "You will use such weak material to make a tank?"

"Yeah, you got it right." was the former's smug reply before raising a wooden grid with a shape resembling a shield. After he placed the grid onto the ground, Senku added a sheet of paper that was cut into its shape by Rikona.

As Gen watched him apply a dark brown substance that appeared to be like glue, Gen asked, "Is that... something like a shoji door?"

"Correct, 10 billion points to you." confirmed the scientist. After repeating the process four more times, he then wore a thick mitten before carrying a pot of burning charcoal which he then pressed onto the stack of glued papers. Once it cooled off, he raised the shield up high and announced, "Paper shield is done. Now, we just have to paste the paper shield around the automobile. Steam Gorilla is now a tank."

However, Kinro wasn't convinced. "Senku." he called. Once he got the said man's attention, he turned around and walked towards a tree while wielding a spear. "I don't think you and Rikona understand this." With one thrust, the spear lodged into the tree trunk. The force was so strong it ripped the tree off from stump before it tumbled backward. "With enough strength, a spear can pierce through a wooden shield. Thin paper shields will not protect us from Tsukasa Empire."