Clean World

With Gen back at Tsukasa Empire, things were the usual for the Kingdom of Science. Kohaku resumed training Kinro and Ginro for the upcoming Grand Bout Tournament; although it was mainly her training the former as the younger brother was hesitant about getting hit. The others, on the other hand, stood by the furnace watching them.

"Alright, then." began Senku, crossing his arms. "While Gen pulls the wool over Tsukasa's eyes, we'll make this cure-all drug."

"Alright!" responded the motivated Chrome. "What will we make with science?"

"When building a civilisation, there is one material equally as valuable as iron." explained the green-haired man. "The first man-made material in history synthesised using science. And that is glass."

"What's that?" asked the brunette, who was just as confused as Suika. "Now that we have electricity, shouldn't we start making all sorts of medicine?"

Rikona waved her hand to say no before explaining, "Clay pots aren't going to cut it if we want to make the cure-all sulfa drug. Glass can contain just about any chemical. It is the foundation of chemistry. It's simple to process, yet it's incomparably tough and very strong. It's completely transparent, so we can see the drug through it."

Chrome was amazed by how unique and durable this glass was. "Really?" he gasped. "That's amazing!"

Senku let out a chuckle. "Besides, once we have glass, we can get rid of that annoying mask, so we can see what Great Detective Suika really looks like." he said with an evil look as his gaze landed on the nervous girl. Taking a few steps closer, he grabbed the melon ripe and pulled it off her head, to which Chrome let out a sound of surprise while Rikona owlishly blinked at the girl's appearance.

Despite the distance, Kohaku witnessed this and halted the training halfway to rush over. "Wait, Senku!" she called, pulling the fruit out of his hands. "Suika said she doesn't want anyone to see her face."

"Take a good look." he stated. "Her face isn't all scarred up and isn't super ugly or anything like that. It's not that like there was even any reason to hide it."

What everyone didn't expect behind the melon ripe was a cute girl with blonde hair in a bowl cut and big brown eyes. Even Kohaku fawned over her cuteness as she cupped her cheeks with both hands and swooned, "Oh my, Suika! You're so adorable!"

But that cuteness was immediately destroyed the moment her face contorted when she squinted her eyes. "What's happening?!" shouted Kohaku and Chrome in horror, completely taken aback by the abrupt change.

"Suika's eyes have this fuzzy sickness." she explained sadly. "Everything looks fuzzy to Suika. I have to squint to see clearly so I end up looking like this. It's embarrassing." After putting the melon ripe back on, her mood became happier as she could see slightly better. "But when I wear this mask, it's somehow a little easier to see!"

"That's the pinhole effect." explained Senku. "If you look at an object through a small hole, the light passing through it narrows, bringing it into focus."

"What does glass have to do with Suika's fuzzy sickness?" asked Chrome while rubbing the back of his head.

"It's ten billion percent have something to do with it!" clarified the green-haired man.

Rikona squatted down in front of Suika and gently placed her hands on the girl's arms. "Listen, Suika." she began as a reassuring smile was plastered on her face. "You are nearsighted. It's neither a disease nor a defect. Nobody would care about that in a scientifically civilised world. We have eyes of science made from glass. They are called glasses, and they solve everything. Even I had to wear them when I wanted to do some intense reading."