Voices over Infinite Distance

'In this Stone World, that's full of stones, we've come so far, building a scientific civilisation from scratch.' thought Senku after letting out a low chuckle. 'The strongest weapon in modern warfare that can deliver voices over infinite distances - the mobile phone is finally here!'

"YES!" cheered the villagers when the power was on as if they could hear his inner monologue.

"Our voices are going to travel across the skies and far into the distance." said Ruri as she looked to the sky.

"Unbelievable." crooned Suika, who was just as eager.

"Yes." said Kohaku with a curt nod, crossing both arms over her chest as she faced the green-haired man with a closed-eye smile. "So it's great that we're sending our voices over long distances. But how are we going to hear them?"

At that moment, Senku's eyes widened with realisation as he stared into space with a look of horror, causing the others to mirror his expression as they awaited his response; albeit the exceptional two who had deadpan looks. And as if they'd predicted what he was going to say, they weren't surprised when he nonchalantly and innocently said, "Ah, crap. We need another one of these."

"DAMN IT!" Every villager who'd been exhausted after working on the mobile phone fell backward in sync.

"You intentionally left that out, right?" deadpanned Gen. "Because people might give up if you told them that we need to make two."

"I don't know whether he's being empathetic, or he's the epitome of a masochist." muttered Rikona.

HAVING ONLY ONE MOBILE PHONE IS USELESS!

Thankfully for the villagers, there was no need to start making the second set. Rikona set up the mobile phone outside the observatory before proceeding to enter where a speaker was placed right at the doorway, where Chrome, Ginro, Kinro, Kohaku, Suika, and a few others were waiting. Senku, on the other hand, connected the wire to the device before he slowly uncoiled the wires as he crossed the wooden bridge backward.

"We need another mobile phone to make it work." he stated. "But if we run a long cable, it should work as a phone." Once he was able to bring the other end of the wire to the Chief's islet, he connected it to the other speaker and placed it in front of Ruri, who was surrounded by other anticipating villagers curious about the mobile phone.

Back at the storehouse, Chrome held the yellow speaker-cum-microphone in his hands and wondered, "Ruri and the others can hear us if we speak from here?"

"Yes, if all goes well." was Rikona's reply after she'd climbed into the observatory.

Ginro's eyes widened when realisation suddenly hit him, along with the thought of Chrome and Ruri talking to each other over the phone. A spark of mischief gleamed in his eyes before he let out a cough. "Chrome." he called. "We spent so much effort into making the phone. Have you decided the first thing you want to say?" Chrome and Rikona looked at him with confusion, and the next thing the latter knew, Ginro was surrounded by sparkles and white lilies as he tenderly said, "Ruri-chan is listening on the other end. Chrome, isn't this your chance to confess your true feelings? Isn't this the best opportunity?" Kohaku, Ruby, Shovel, and Suika glanced at him with eyes widened and ears perked up; although in Suika's case, the leaf on the melon rind became as big as the yellow speaker.

'They look like they're anticipating their favourite drama characters to confess to each other.' thought the doctor who had a giant bead of sweat hanging on the back of her head. 'And yet, why do I feel like things aren't going to be what they expected?'

Chrome looked at Ginro with surprise before his gaze went back to the speaker. 'True... feelings.' he thought. Once he's decided what he wanted to say, he straightened himself and took a deep breath.