Greed Equals Justice

A/N: Hello, my dear readers! Happy New Year! May this new year bring you joy, blessings and love! I apologise for the long break. I finally completed my master's programme and just returned from a week's holiday in Japan. It was chillingly fun, if I were to summarise the experience. However, as someone who grew up in tropical weather, I can conclude that I don't like winter as much... ( ' ﹋ ' ; ) Anyway, now that I'm still on my break before starting my job hunt, I've been catching up on the new season so that we'll find out how the Kingdom of Science continues in their journey to reviving Rikona. Stay tuned to find out more! Until then, enjoy! ⸜(。˃ ᵕ ˂ )⸝♡

"Ryusui, finding it was necessary regardless of your yapping," remarked Senku. The blond man stared, perplexed, prompting the scientist to continue, "We need to mass-produce food that's easy to preserve and light enough to carry to the other side of Earth."

"There it is!" Kohaku announced excitedly into the telephone, pointing ahead. "A golden field of foxtail!" True to her words, amid the green there was a patch of gold, one that Ryusui's eye widened with familiarity and realisation.

"The land here is fertile enough to sustain a herd of goats," explained Senku, adorning a knowing smirk. "We were bound to find wild food sources. This bird's-eye view just made it faster."

"Wheat!" laughed the sailor with joy. "Are we making bread now?"

"Yeah," confirmed Senku, as the hot air balloon lowered, just after Ukyo and Chrome arrived at the field. "From now on, we'll grow and create food with our own hands. This is part of our preparation for our long voyage on the sea to find the source of the petrification light. We need loads of food that doesn't spoil easily."

Alas, the five of them stood in the field of gold, staring ahead at the birth of the food that modern humanisation long missed. "I want the best long-lasting food," declared Ryusui. "I want bread!"

"You're going where?" The blond boy blinked owlishly.

While kneeling on the porcelain tiled floor putting folded clothes into her black Osumashi Pooh-chan backpack, the girl nonchalantly replied, "Biei. We're going to stay over at my grandparents' place over the summer break."

"That's such a long time!" he complained, slumping on her bed covered with a dark blue duvet, where he'd sat watching her pack up. "I was already thinking of bringing you to Taketomi Island, where we ride water buffalo carts and go snorkelling. "

"Thanks, but I think I wanna try something different this time."

Ryusui let out a contemplating hum. "So? What is it that interested you more than the sea?"

"I want to learn how to make bread."

The boy was even more perplexed. "You're travelling all the way to Hokkaido to learn how to make bread? Isn't that something that you can learn from recipe books?"

"I know. But I want to learn starting from harvesting the wheat. My grandparents own a wheat field, and their cottage has a stone oven. So I asked if I could go over and learn, and they agreed. They even have an orchard and a farm, so I can learn to harvest fruits and nuts to add to the bread."

The boy finally sat up, crossing his arms as he thought of what she said. "That's nice and all. But why go through all that to learn how to make bread?"

Rikona zipped up her backpack after putting a bottle of Biore sunscreen inside. "I just think I'll be able to understand the whole process of making bread, rather than always asking our chefs to make them or buy from the bakery." She then diverted her attention to the manor garden through the window, staring at the greenery illuminated by the early summer sunlight. A subtle smile plastered on her face as she muttered, "After all, isn't it more fun to work hard on something and then enjoy it as a reward?" Then, her iridescent orbs landed on his brown ones when she felt there was enough silent communion between them. "Want to join me?"