Chapter 2 a mindful walk and an encounter

should warn you that there's cringey content ahead int he next few chapters, but please give the story a chance! ....also I'm editing and getting rid of all the bold so...uh yeah!

Chapter 2

The evening was quiet and peaceful. I could hear some noises from outside of the tent but I didn't think much of it as I was extremely tired. I had done what I saw people do on the television and on YouTube. I had put my food up high so that it was nice and safe. I wasn't sure what kind of creatures were in the woods so it was just a precaution.

The sleeping bag was thin and scratchy against my skin and I could feel the rocks below my back for the entire night. Even after I had stood up and stretched I could tell you exactly where the rocks were that had been digging into my back all night. Breakfast was simple, just some porridge and a cup of tea. I had a very small camping stove which had a rather small pan to go with it. It was just enough to fill my flask which I've owned since I was about sixteen.

Drinking out of that flask and looking at my surroundings made me think back to my teenage years. It made me sound extremely old yet I've only just turned twenty one. I got the flask for christmas, it was in my stocking. THat's where most uninteresting and small gifts went in my family. It gathered dust for quite a while until I started going to college and needed more than one cup of energy a day.

It was simple but expensive, mother had always told me that when i asked her why I got it. I guess when I was that age I didn't really want sturdy and useful things, I wanted what was cool and what was trending at the time. Thinking back to the cringefest which was my teenage self had me shuddering. Yet I smiled at the memories and the fact that I have come so far to appreciate simple things like flasks which can keep things warm for up to five hours.

It was a peaceful breakfast and I could hear the birds waking up. Sweet and pleasant melodies surrounded me as I stared at the dark blue sky with a little bit of orange peaking over the trees. I wanted to take the day slow and take moments to appreciate the nature around me. So that's what I did.

I had to go looking for firewood anyway and so I stationed my food up in the air and headed off, with my phone in my pocket and one of those very loud,annoying alarms which are said to scare off wild creatures. I had no clue if it worked but it looked like it would be useful due to the packaging. I know a lot of what I bought seemed like a waste now i'm seeing it in hindsight. Though most of it was reusable, I don't think i would've considered buying most of this stuff if christmas was not a few weeks ago.

I had made a few trips back and forward to the tent. I found a nice little path which seemed to have been taken over by nature, yet it was pleasant to walk on a slightly flat surface for a little bit. It made knowing where I had been a lot easier. I had accumulated a pile of suitable wood which I was rather proud of by the time the sun came to its highest point.

I didn't know what I expected from the lack of entertainment but I wasn't bored yet. I had a simple pot noodle for my lunch and put my rubbish with the rubbish from last night. In a plain black bin bag I had deemed the bin for the duration of my stay. I know it would probably make me regret it later as I would need to carry it back home with me but I didn't want the rubbish to be scattered amongst the wood floor.

I pondered over a few things as I looked around. I wasn't sure if this was woods or a forest. I wasn't too sure of the definitions of both the places. Geography was my least favourite subject in school. I found it interesting and I would love to visit some other countries if I could. The teachers who taught it just got on my nerves.

I preferred science, always have and that's why I study it at university. I study Biology. It was something which had always fascinated me. I much preferred to learn about plants then I did the human body and then even then I preferred to learn about animals more.

The true aim of mine was to analyse animals in their natural habitat. I wanted to learn what plants they liked, if they disliked some plants, how they interacted with other animals, how they communicated, how their society worked. There are many other things which caught my interest about the wonderful world of animals.

Feeling inspired, I dusted off my jeans and stood up. My gray eyes scanned the area and I made my way to the path. Now I didn't need to focus on gathering wood, I was able to enjoy myself. I was able to look at the trees which were still recovering from winter. Little flowers were popping up in several places, they were the ones who were eager and brave enough to face the cold which caused me to hug my hoodie closer around me.

I had been walking for about an hour before I was stopped. I could hear something. It was a sound which I had never heard before, I had heard sounds like it but never in this tone. Never had I heard such as and pained whimpering. I didn't really know what to do, if i went on then I could stumble across something which could kill me. Each instinct I had told me to run, apart from one.

I listened to the one instinct which told me to continue, it told me that something might need my help. I don't know what help i could possibly be but I listened to the feeling which told me if I was in the creature's position, I would want to be helped.

I strayed from the path and I wandered through the trees, listening for the sound to tell me where I had to go. I followed the sound for about five minutes before I was once again stopped in my tracks. Fear filled my bones and I moved to run but my feet wouldn't let me. I regretted coming out here, this decision would be the end of my life.

In front of me was a rather large and a rather angry looking wolf.