Chapter 24 running for safety

Chapter 24 Running for safety

Everyone immediately stood up, It was as though it was all synchronized, I knew where my place was. Somehow. I knew that I had to follow the pups. Nobody had told me this, there wasn't any sort of emergency protocol information pamphlet which I could've read through. I just knew that's where I had to go. It might have just been natural for me.

Abilene and I rushed to the table with the pups, She took Oran and Lowell into her arms as they were two of the smallest pups. Channon was placed on her back, I picked up Melina and I let Channing ride on my back.

"Aiden, wait!" I heard Ralph say as they were getting ready for something. I looked at him with worry in my eyes, there was no time for conversation, what was he doing? He looked at me with sad eyes and he took something off his neck, I had one free hand so I was able to take it with little trouble. "We'll come get you. Follow Abilene." I nodded and did as told.

Turns out, they had a cellar. It was an escape route fo sorts. It looked like a very old tunnel. It was like being inside a really large pipe, the walls were gray and there wasn't even graffiti in sight. It was completely abandoned and untouched. It made me question how often the pack was attacked.

The pups were quiet, they were quiet and scared. Melina had hid her face in my neck as we ran through the tunnels. It was easier to run through the tunnels then it would've been to run across the forest floor. I wasn't the fittest person, I was running out of breath quickly but I assume that it was adrenaline which kept me going.

I could see light at the end of the tunnel, not in a metaphorical way. The tunnel was coming to an end soon. I hadn't even realized that we had been going uphill until I saw the light. When we came to the opening, Abilene unlocked the small gate and let us through, locking it again afterwards. I had held Oran whilst she was doing this. We were running once again.

I knew that we probably weren't going to be stopping anytime soon. I didn't know where we were going, to be honest, I'm not sure I cared. The look on Lathen's face when he said that we were being attacked was enough to convince me that I was doing the right thing.

I felt like something was chasing us but I didn't look back. I felt like there was ees watching us but I couldn't tell from what direction. It could've been a predator, waiting for it's next meal or it could've been a bird watching over the forest floor. It also could've been my imagination. I was breathing too heavily to notice any noise. I was only focused on where Abilene was and the safety of the children in my care.

"Where are we going?" I asked as we continued to move.I struggled to speak as things flew into my face and I had to hold my concentration, I was slower as I spoke butI had to know. I couldn't just rely on Abilene, even if she was stronger then me. "How much further?" It was obvious that I wasn't prepared or built for anything like this.

"The humans." She said as she continued to face forward. The answer didn't give me much but it gave me all the information that I needed. We were heading back towards the city, We weren't following any roads and that would protect us somewhat. I didn't know how werewolves hunt. All The information hat I knew was up in the air, a fifty fifty chance of whether or not the werewolves hunted the same way wolves do.

We ran without speaking for another five minutes, I was slowing down. I was almost at a light jog when we could see buildings through the trees. "Did anyone follow us?" I questioned as she started to come to a stop. She turned to the trees and looked within them. I'm assuming that she also would've been able to smell if there was anyone coming after us.

"No" She trailed off slightly , abruptly turning to me. "But we should keep moving. I'm not really sure where to go." I looked from her and then to the forest and then back to her, I allowed the children to climb off me, though Melina didn't seem to like the idea.

"Follow me." I told them as I started to walk along the street. It was easy enough to know where I was from here. The road was a straight one so it was easy to find our way back to the city. THe kids were silent as we walked, Oren was in Abilene's arms still. The twins were walking in front of us with their hands tightly knit together and Lowell was between us.

I purposefully didn't tell them where we were going, I knew that wolves had very good hearing. Well, their hearing was better than ours. I knew where we were going and I knew that it would take us a little while to get there. I warned the children this but they reassured me that they would be okay.

We walked for another half an hour, I wondered if Ralph was alright. I couldn't stop thinking about if Ralph was alright. I wondered about the rest of the pack but my thoughts always ended up being with Ralph. It was obvious where we were when I walked up tot eh door and opened it with a key which I held in my pocket.

"Is this your house?" Lowell asked with wide eyes. I chuckled as I let them all in. We were at my university accommodation. I shook my head and placed my finger on my lips. I didn't want the sound of children to disturb the other residents. Technically children weren't well liked in the halls.

"No, but ti's where I live." I lead them up to my room. It was similar to a hotel where it had everything I could ever need. The children made themselves at home easily whilst Melina clung to my neck. "So, what's the plan?"