Chapter 42 Family Feuds

Chapter 42 Family feuds

We spent that day going back and forth from my apartment to the packhouse with some essential things. The packhouse was small and I didn't need a lot of things. I knew that the wolves may be interested in some things so I decided to bring them with the assumption it'd help give us something to do, something relaxing. I also had to file a police report and talk to the landlord about the door.

I had to treat it like a regular burglary. I couldn't tell the police that I had suspicions that a werewolf pack was behind the break in. That would've been absurd and got me locked up quicker then I could say 'Just kidding'. I was sat in the living room by myself. It was odd to be by myself in someone else's house. Everyone was training at the moment, apart from Eben adn Lathen who were discussing important matters.

I jumped as my phone vibrated in my pocket. I wasted no time in pulling it out and looking at the caller ID. It was Harlow. My blood ran cold. I didn't think that he would be calling me anytime soon. I wasn't sure if he was aware that anything had happened. "Hello?" I asked into the phone in a rather neutral voice.

"Aiden are you alright? Dad's off his rocker with anger and he keeps mumbling stuff. What happened?" The information came at me with a lot of force. Why would dad have lost his mind last night? I didn't do anything, I know he saw about the petition and protest, the several texts showed that.

"I don't know why he would be angry or anything. Other than what you already know." I pinched the bridge of my nose in worry. "Other than the fact that I had a break in last night." I knew that I shouldn't have said it as soon as I opened my mouth. I had to move the phone away from my ear.

"What?!" He shouted loudly. I flinched, I didn't know where he was and hoped that he wasn't near mam. "What happened? Where are you? Why didn't you come and see us?" The questions were coming at me quicker than I could comprehend them. I ignored some and took a deep breath.

"Harlow, calm down." I tried to use a level voice, one to show that there wasn't anything wrong. I was tapping my foot on the ground nervously. "I'm alright, i'm with

some friends who came over to see if I was alright. They got worried and came to see me." I didn't know if telling Harlow where I was would help him calm down.

"Some friends? You have friends who you're actually comfortable going to?" I rolled my eyes at the questions he chose to ask. I was sure he could hear my sigh on the phone as he continued. "I'm not knocking it, it's just odd for you." I glared at the wall slightly

"I know it is. I told you that I'd made some friend last time I visited." I took a coin out of my pocket and started to flip it as I talked. "I don't know what's happening. I'm sure father won't' do too much harm. I know he's angry about my views but he can't really change it. He's just out for the money."

"Yes, but he-" I could hear shouting on the other end of the line, it was masculine. I raised an eyebrow, father was usually at work this time. "Look I have to go, I'll talk to you later." He had hung up before I got another word out. I gave another sigh and looked at my phone, only just noticing that Ralph was standing in the doorway.

"You alright?" He asked as he started to walk over to me. He sat down on the settee next to me and I could feel the heat radiating off him from training. I would usually shy away from the heat. Though, it was comforting to me. It was an odd kind of comfort but I didn't question it. Ralph's presence gave me comfort. My mind was telling me that I was crazy, a man couldn't give me that comfort as it was not possible. My heart was full of warmth and gratitude towards this man for showing me a new world and for saving me. "I could feel your frustration."

I gave a weak chuckle as I turned to him. I was leaning on my knees with my elbows and was hunched forward slightly. Ralph had his back straight and proper. "Is it that obvious? Or is it an 'us' thing?" It felt weird to ask that. It was weird to have an 'us' thing. "That sounded odd. You know what I mean?" I tried to make sure. Ralph had amusement in his eyes but he didn't seem as weirded out as I was.

"Well having 'us' things is somewhat common around here." He gestured with his head towards the ceiling. "There's the pack connection, then Abilene's connection with the kids. Eben and Lathen have a connection." He trailed of before looking at me with a sheepish smile. "Sorry I haven't really explained that to you at all." I shook my head.

"We haven't really had the chance to discuss a lot." I gave a sad sigh before putting my phone back in my pocket and leaning back into the settee. "It's been one thing after another. Hopefully when all this is over we will be able to discuss things. I'll be able to leanr more."

He gave me a warm smile before putting a hand on my shoulder. "Thank you for giving me the chance." I gave him a slight nod. We sat there for a few moments in silence then suddenly he tensed up. He sat forward like I had previously. He looked like he was concentrating on something. I could see his nose twitching slightly.

"What's wrong?" I was very concerned. The thoughts about whether it could be another attack whirled in my mind. They wouldn't let me be.He lifted a hand, I thought he was going to tell me to wait a moment but he didn't get that far with his action. He suddenly stood up and looked out the back window.

"There's someone here."