Chapter 6 Freedom for all

The wolf could easily break my neck. Her sharp teeth could very easily sink into my flesh and rip my throat out with one swift movement of jaws. I didn't know what made me do it now, I didn't do much to help her. Why would the wolf trust me at all? I may have brought her children and some food but I was still a human who probably couldn't be trusted.

I winced as I could feel the sharpness of the blade persisted, It would take a lot of pressure to release it from the wolf. Pressure I didn't know I had. I was sure that these things had other ways to spring open .I was too scared to look or touch anything in case it clamped down harder. I tried my best to separate the blades as much as I could. There was a pained look on my face as it hurt my muscles. It took quite a while, I could feel the female wolf staring at me and I could feel the tiny pups all around me. It was like they were trying to offer me support.

The female wolf was whining and she touched her head to my shoulder a few times. It was like she was telling me that it was alright to give up, she was telling me to stop before I hurt myself. I didn't want to listen to that. I wanted to help this wolf and I knew I could do it. It took me a few tries. I had to stand up and stretch a few times. It hurt my hands to keep doing it for a long period of time. I had eventually managed to open it long enough for the wolf to move their leg through with a few nudges from her little pups.

I was ecstatic, I took a while to comprehend the fact that the leg had been moved but when I did I fell backwards. With a shout of joy I spread my arms out wide. The pups were jumping all over the place, four of them were jumping around their mother. One stayed beside me. It was the shy one, it was the one who stayed by their mother the entire time I had been there.

"Hi there." I whispered with a smile and I reached my hand out. The female wolf watched me whilst playing with her pups. The little pup in front of me was adorable, they flinched slightly as I moved my hand, something rather odd for a wolf but eventually they gave my hand a sniff. They walked closer to me, they were close to the ground and they were watching my hand cautiously. Eventually it lifted it's small head up so that it was touching my palm. At first it sunk back down and watched it carefully before it reached up again. "So cute." I said under my breath as i watched them. I was a bit distracted by the small pup I didn't notice the female wolf coming closer and closer to me.

She looked much bigger now that she was close to me and free from the trap. She had a slight limp but now she could stand up tall. Her bright eyes stared into mine and her tongue stuck out of her mouth. Her tail was wagging excitedly. I tried my best not to be scared but I was being cornered into a tree by a rather large wolf.

I stayed silent as I watched her come closer, I closed my eyes in fear of what could happen. With each movement I could feel the wolf's breath on me. After a while I could feel something on my hands, it was quick and gentle. It was soft and slightly wet.

I was curious, after a while of it happening and no pain I had to know what was happening. I opened my eyes, the right one first and then looked down. The wolf was licking my hands. The pups were behind her and they were all jumping around excitedly.

"What do you want?" I asked her carefully, her eyes reconnected with my own and I knew what she wanted. She wanted me to follow her. I wasn't sure what told me that, I don't know if it was the licking or the look in her eyes but I felt like I had to follow her.

I don't know where she was taking me but her pups seemed excited when we got about half way. I assume that the wolves could sense or smell something that I could not. It was a very lovely walk. It was lively and wonderful. It was mid-afternoon by now and it was extremely bright. The birds were singing and everything seemed better.

The surroundings seemed to have a whole new life to them and it was enjoyable to walk with the wolves. I never thought I would think that, I never thought I would be doing anything like this in my entire life. I had dreamed and I had hoped that something like this would happen. I never thought that dreams were something which came true.

We had approached a clearing after not a lot of time. There was a small lake which reflected the light off the sun and it made patterns along the trees. These patterns were joined by the ones made from the sun shining through the trees. Shadows danced on the forest floor, they were a big contrast to the light coloured dirt.

My eyes couldn't linger on the beautiful landscape for very long. My eyes were darting between many wolves all scattered around, their eyes all narrowed on us. I felt like I was the only one there at that moment, I was not accompanied by a wolf. I was a defenseless human who couldn't protect myself from the wolves who would attack me at any moment.

I was brought back to reality as I felt the wolf beside me move, The pups at my feet moved forward. I was left alone as the wolves watched me closely. None of them had meanness in their eyes. I stepped forward slightly, I carefully watched their reactions in case they were just waiting for the opportunity to attack.

They didn't, they didn't move as I came closer. I neared the centre of the clearing and I looked around. The she-wolf had invited me to their territory. I was sure I had already invaded their territory by camping. The wolf brought me to the centre of their territory, they brought me to their pack.

What happened next was surreal. It shook me to the core. What happened next filled me with love and hope. The wolves started to circle me, there were around ten wolves in total. Each a different colour and each varied in size. The wolves surrounded me, the only sound was the wonderful nature around us.

That was until The she-wolf began to howl. Each wolf joined in, even the pups tried their best to howl with the pack. It was powerful and it was strong. I didn't join in, though I felt like I could if I wanted to.

After a while I snapped out of my trance. The trance which was caused by the supernatural warmth in my chest. I had probably overstayed my welcome. I would have loved to stay but it was getting dark. I would much rather not be stuck in the dark in the middle of the woods without some sort of protection.

I turned to leave with a smile on my face, the she-wolf was with her family now and that's all that mattered. I took a few steps the way we came and I turned around for one last look at the group of wolves. The she-wolf and the pups were watching me leave. They had warm and excited looks in their eyes.

They weren't the only ones looking at me, further back I could see a pair of light green eyes. I couldn't dwell on those eyes. I couldn't really see the rest of the wolf as it was under the shadow of a rather big tree.

Those eyes never left my mind. They never left my mind for the next two years.