chapter 5 trust

Chapter 5 trust

It was starting to get dark by the time I had arrived back where the female wolf was. The six creatures seemed to be sleeping , the female didn't seem to be sleeping very soundly as she moved slightly as I approached. She had opened her eyes and then closed them again once she saw it was me. I thanked my lucky stars she wasn't bothered enough to growl at me.

I tried to be as silent as I could as I set my things down and started to set up my things. I was literally setting up a tent next to six wolves. I had no clue what was going through my mind at that moment. I just knew that I wanted the famle wolf to go free front he trap she was caught in.

That evening I tried to be as quiet as I could. I didn't stay up very late as I was falling asleep rather quickly. I had created a fire for warmth and the wolves seemed to enjoy it. I know it probably wasn't the safest idea for the health of the wolves but I would have frozen if I hadn't done it. The wolves slept as I ate and I checked the messages on my phone.

I was lying in the tent whilst texting my mother. She was worrying about me. I didn't really leave her on the best note the other day. She was rather concerned about my wellbeing. I did just randomly declare I was going camping and then packed up my things, went to the shops and came straight out here. She wondered what made me decide to come out here, she was supportive too. She just wanted a reason for my decisions and honestly I didn't have an answer for her.

I usually handled stress alright. It was odd for me to act so harshly without something incredibly drastic happening. The last time I had done anything like this was when my childhood dog passed away. I was young back then, I couldn't go into the middle of the forest and try to escape. The furthest I got was the park, where I sat on the swings and cried for quite a while. My dad had followed me there and comforted me when I needed it.

Something pulled me towards this place, I know that I was stressed and worried and anxious but that didn't explain why I was here. Perhaps it was my fate to come here and meet the wolves. Perhaps it was supposed to teach me something about life. I would be taught not to mess with nature's course and let the injured wolf die, like it would have I not arrived. Or I could be taught that I'm doing the right thing. My aim to help animals and care for the environment won't go to waste as I help these six wolves.

I laughed silently to myself and rolled over. There was no such thing as fate. It was just something that people made up to make themselves feel better about the actions they were taking. A way to excuse their bad behaviour or unfortunate circumstances. I haven't believed in anything like fate in a long time.

Sleep didn't come easy that night, despite how tired I felt. I was still aware of the wolves which were only a few feet away from me. I could hear rustling and movement through the night which kept me awake and my mind whirling with the possibilities of what it could be.

When I started to hear birds I knew it was time I should get out of the tent. I tried to quickly unzip the tent but before it got halfway, I had a little visitor. In strode in a little pup.

It was followed by some of it's siblings. Actually all but one of them came into my tent and were attempting to climb me slightly. I placed my hand out for them hesitantly, little tongues licked my hand which made me laugh silently. I used my other hand to open up the tent the rest of the way. I was able to see the female wolf and the other pup from where I was.

The other pup looked over at where we were, I wasn't at all used to understanding wolfish features but they looked nervous. I just sat there and let the wolves do whatever they wanted. They seemed to be curious, I moved a few things out of the way which I didn't want them to touch or damage and they didn't seem to mind. It was fascinating watching them experience a new environment.

As I moved to crawl out of the tent the pups followed. I sat not too far from the entrance of the tent and looked straight ahead at the she-wolf. She was lying down like I had last seen her. Now she was looking directly at me too. I was nervous, I'm not going to pretend that I felt brave at that moment. I was staring into the eyes of a grown female wolf.

It felt like I was in a dream, or a fairytale. So far this wolf hadn't been aggressive towards me or hostile. Wolves were extremely smart creatures. I wouldn't' consider them to be deceitful but I couldn't help but imagine the moment I let her free, she could quickly snap around and kill me without a second thought.

Looking into the amber eyes made me reconsider my thoughts. She seemed happy and excited. She seemed peaceful as she rested her head on her paws and watched me play with her children. I'm sure that she was on edge but she was handling it well. If I was the wolf I know I wouldn't trust the human who was playing with my children. Especially since I know that a human would've been the one to set the trap in the forest.

I walked over to where my food hung and brought it down carefully. The wolves seemed eager to see what I had but I wouldn't allow them to have any of it. I took some granola out of my bag and quickly moved it back into ti's previous position in the tree. "Not for you." I told the wolves.

Surprisingly, they seemed to understand me once again. The wolves moved backwards and started to go towards their mother, who gave some sort of laugh at their return. I watched with curious eyes and sat down. My movements were still being watched but I had more questions racing through my mind. These wolves were strange. I wasn't sure if this was normal wolf behaviour, the documentaries didn't mention behaviour such as this.

Once I had put my rubbish in it's designated bag I stood up. I took a few steps. I seemed to excite the pups as they circled around my feet and attempted to climb me like I was some sort of tree. I reached down and carefully scratched their heads and gave a few of them pets.

I turned around with an idea in my mind. I reached into my tent and pulled out my blanket. This would be thick enough I suppose. I used it to wrap my hands and I carefully walked towards the female wolf. With each step I took I became more and more nervous as the amber eyes pierced my skin.

I reached down slowly, bending down I grabbed the trap.