Chapter 32 Heading back

The rest of the evening was spent in the living room. I was mainly talking to Harlow and mam. It was something that I was used to, dad had to go back to work anyway. He worked a lot. He often slept between the hours of three and nine and then had to go back to work. I felt really sorry for him. Though, at this point I wasn't too sure if he was working for money or if he was working to distract himself.

I wouldn't blame him for doing either, everything had been stressful the past few months. I still think that there could've been a better solution to it all but apparently I wouldn't know any better than he does. Of course, I wouldn't know better than him about some things. I just think he's slightly blinded.

Harlow and I played some card games across mam's table and we shared some funny stories. We acted like children and it was really fun to do. I loved these moments of peace and silence. It was serene. I couldn't help something which was nagging at me though.

I felt like I should warn the pack. It was something which came natural to want. Yet, I wasn't sure how I would be able to achieve that without going into the forest. I didn't know if the wolves knew what the humans were planning. I didn't see any humans actually inside the forest. Ralph had said that they could tell when someone was in their territory.

So early that next morning, I got up and left before my dad woke up. I travelled back to my apartment and packed a bag with a sigh. I had a heavy feeling in my chest. I knew it wasn't my fault, it was other humans who had decided to do it. I don't know why the guilt existed.

Once I got a backpack ready I started to head towards the forest. I was hesitant and each step made me feel like I was being pulled back by something like a slingshot. I didn't have any time to take notice of the nature and the scenery. It didn't take log at all for rme to hear footsteps. I could tell that there were more than two feet but I wasn't sure if that meant there was more than one person or thing out there. I had brought more protection with me then I had the first time, even the second time. I knew that there were real threats out in the forest other than bugs.

I stopped in the middle of an open area. I was able to run if I had to and I waited for whatever or whoever it was to find me. I was lucky, a few moments later I saw a wolf coming before me. I didn't recognise the wolf and that worried me, though they seemed friendly and familiar. I could recognise them as one of the wolves that I saw in the back garden the first time I had visited the pack house.

I smiled wearily as the wolf kept it's distance. I didn't know who it was at this point. "um...I have something to tell you guys...obviously it's uh-important." I fidgeted slightly. It was odd talking to a wolf like this. The last wolf I talked to was Abilene and it was a much different situation. The wolf tilted it's head slightly , analysing me slightly before nodding and turning around. I took that as a sign to follow them.

We weren't rather far into the forest when we had met up so it took quite a while to get there. I had slight hopes that Ralph would come and meet us, it would be easier to communicate. It's odd walking alongside a wolf. Each time they took a step I could feel it vibrating through my legs.

It was a long walk to the packhouse, there was nobody outside and it was quiet. I turned to the wolf. "Thank you, were you on patrol?" I had spent the last five or so minutes wondering what I was going to say to them. The wolf nodded and started to back away as I waved. I approached the door hesitantly. Before I had time to knock, it was opened by Elowen, who had a kind smile on her face.

"Hello Aiden, this is a surprise." Her voice was somewhat quiet and friendly. She was a lot quieter then Hollis was. "Come on in." She opened the door wider for me and as soon as I entered I could hear a slight bit of commotion. "Sorry about the noise, the children are a little antsy today." I nodded slightly in understanding.

"Oh don't worry about it." I trailed off slightly and my voice became somewhat weaker. I cleared my throat and fidgeted with my jacket. "Actually, I came to tell you guys something important."I feel like my nerves must've shown very well, as concern appeared in her eyes.

I was brought into the living room where I saw most of the pack, minus Beaumont ,Eben , Lathen, Ralph and Randall. I assumed that Beaumont was the wolf who had led me to the house. I would've recognised Ralph and Beaumont was the only one of the group who were training in the back yard when I was first there.

I greeted everyone with a wave and a smile. I found it awkward as I sat down because I felt somewhat out of place. I guess this is how everyone felt yesterday. It was clear that it was something important, I wouldn't have come by myself unless it was important. The children were playing silently in the corner and the majority of the parents were watching over them. Abilene was watching them but she was by a window. It was rather comforting yet tense at the same time.

I had almost forgotten the reason I had come here by the time the rest of the pack had joined us. I had been roped into playing with the children. They weren't playing rather challenging games, though they needed one more player to make up the teams. I couldn't resist the look on Melina's face when she asked me to play. As the rest of the pack came in I was almost squashed by Ralph. I wasn't sure why exactly he hugged me with such force but I wasn't complaining.

"You shouldn't have come here." Ebens aid with concern in his eyes as eh watched me curiously. Lathen also had a similar expression. The two of them watched me carefully. "What happened?" and so I started to explain. I didn't really know where to start or how much they knew. I just had to explain hat I had came across.

"Right so..." I was quiet as I faced them, I wasn't sure if the children were supposed to hear this or not. I doubted that they would be moving anytime soon. "So my dad works for a construction business and he told me where they were going to start building and ...knocking down stuff." I could see realization come to the eyes of some people. "I wasn't too sure but it was definitely close by."

There was a moment of silence after I spoke. The adults shared looks whilst the children just looked at us curiously. "I told you." Moss said quietly and looked down to his hands with a sad expression.