Chapter 18 a day in the office and discussions

Chapter 18 A day in the office and discussions

"I mainly work on human relations." Lathen said as he paced in front of us. Ralph and I were sat in two relatively uncomfortable chairs. I could feel some spelks under my hand and I leant forward to avoid feeling the uncomfortable back. Ralph had his arms folded and was leaning back, it seemed to be his favourite pose. "Now, Aiden, I'm sure that you are rather experienced in the matter, yet it is quite a bit different for those of us who live ...well in the middle of a forest."

I chuckled slightly and nodded. I felt like I couldn't really speak. It was like receiving a lecture at university. I would be there to listen dn take notes whilst the teacher spoke. I could see the annoyance practically radiating off Ralph in waves. "I'm sorry Alpha, but why do we need to know this?" His question earned him a soft glare. There was some anger but there was also some sympathy within his eyes. I didn't know what it was for, I hardly knew anyone who I was in the presence of. The fact washed over me slightly and I took a deep breath.

"Ralph." Lathen said softly, aware of my curious gaze. "You know why you need to know this."The softness in his tone was starting to worry me, it was a relaxing tone but it was also the tone you would use to tell someone that something bad happened. I knew that voice too well. "Besides, Aiden has shown some interest in the topic. He just wants to know what our lives are like."

"Yeah well..." Ralph stood up abruptly, looking from me to Lathen. "I'm sorry but you can discuss it without me." He gave me a small smile and nodded his head. "Ask Randall to call for me when you are finished." and with that, he swiftly left the room, closing the door behind him.

I looked to Lathen concerned, "Should I-" I gestured towards the door and was about to go after him but a shaking of his head stopped me. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed, leaning on his desk. I could, once again, see the tiredness and stress plain on his face.

"No,no, let him go." He sighed and looked at me with a sad chuckle. "I don't blame him at all. Being an Alpha is difficult." He nodded and tried to avoid my eyes. It seemed uncharacteristic of him. It did none to change my confused and curious expression. "Ralph is next in line to be Alpha." He said as though it answered all my questions.

"Is he?" I questioned with furrowed brows. I didn't understand how that was the case. Eben was the beta, weren't titles usually passed down? I wasn't too supportive of that,though I live in England, where the royal title is passed down. if anything I would've thought that there would be some sort of competition to see who would be the next alpha. "How?"

Lathen seemed to have some sort of guilt in his eyes, he scratched his head. He didnt seem to know how to explain what he wanted to tell me. "Well, I don't have any children of my own. Therefore the Beta would take over as Alpha if anything happened to me." A look of understanding came across my face. That made a lot of sense.

"So would Eben take over?" I asked just to make sure. "Then that title would be passed down to Ralph and then Randall?" Honestly, I had just known these people for a day or so, but they saved my life. I didn't want to think about anything that bad happening to them.

"Unless Ralph has children." Lathen nodded. "It's a title which is brought down within the families and then down the pack. It's not often that the beta and the alpha are in the...same situation."I didn't exactly know what he meant but I was getting a good idea that it wasn't pleasant. "Anyway, enough of that. As an Alpha we deal with human relations as well as relations with other packs. The first being more pleasant then the latter."

I chuckled with him. It was interesting to know. "So do many humans know about werewolves?" I held my hands together in front of me and leant my elbows on my knees. "I know there's a lot of fiction surrounding it." I wanted to make it clear that I didn't believe those things which I had heard, they were fiction.

"Some do. A lot of authority figures do. Such as the royal family." He let out another chuckle. "You can't get anything past the humans with power, they have to know everything. It's also handy to get a few of them on our side too." He sent me a wink. I didn't quite know what he meant by this, I was sure that confusion would be one of my most-felt emotions from now on.

"There's different sides?"As soon as the question left my lips, I saw Lathen freeze slightly. He didn't seem to be angry that I had picked up on that, rather the opposite. He gave me a slight smile and nodded slightly. It was as though he was showing appreciation or approval.

"Well yes." He started to walk around the room again. "Werewolves and wolves in general are rather territorial creatures. As you know." I nodded in confirmation. "The bigger the territory, the bigger the pack's power. There are no constant battles, but there are often battles for territory."

My eyebrows furrowed and I tapped my chin in thought. "Physical battles?" I shudder to think what it would be like to see wolves tearing each other apart. I knew that was the reality of life, it was the reality of nature. I preferred to fool myself into thinking that wildlife was peaceful. I was aware of what happened in nature, I found it fascinating. Yet it is rather hard to neglect the wild in wildlife.

"Mostly." Lathen didn't seem to be bothered much by it, I guess it was normal for werewolves to not think too much about physical fighting, it would be in their nature too, That's what they train for. "Though money and negotiations do come into it, I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to that." He seemed somewhat sheepish at the fact, it was understandable as being an Alpha was his job, I assume it was something he had been taught to do since he was a child. "We are a rather small pack, not a lot of people notice us."

"And yet here I am." I chuckled lightly and tried to give him a reassuring smile. "If I can help in any way, just let me know. I'm just a university student but I wouldn't mind giving a hand if you need it." Lathen's eyes widened and he smiled, it was a wide smile which reached his eyes. He held out a hand out to me.

"Thank you Aiden."