Chapter 26 Explanations

I never saw happier children than when the pack came into the room. They were quiet but they bolted to their parents. Channon and Channing bolted for Moss and Tempest who took a boy each in their arms. Rhodes and Beaumont were squished together with a very big hug from Lowell and Oran. I smiled gently and gestured towards Melina who was still asleep in my arms. I was sure that Hollis and Elowen had noticed her. I didn't know if I should wake her up or if I should let her sleep. Elowen reached her arms out with a pleading look and I immediately handed her over.

Eben and Lathen were looking around hesitantly. "I'm sorry it's so small." I mumbled, this place was meant to fit only one person, two by a stretch. "I couldn't really think of anywhere else." Lathen had sat down and Eben shook his head with an intrigued look. Abilene must have turned back when I was opening the door as she sat with her clothes on.

As soon as the child was removed from my arms I was engulfed in a hug. There was a mass of hair in my face and I stepped back in surprise. Ralph had given me what I could only describe as the warmest and most desperate of hugs I had ever received. "I was so worried." I rubbed his back soothingly and gave Randall a questioning look. He just shook his head and gave me a thumbs up.

"It's alright, we're all together now." I tried to be as comforting as I can as he continued to hug me. "Uh-does anyone need medical supplies?" It was a little bit awkward for me. I was feeling somewhat claustrophobic as it is. Since Randall was no help, I looked towards Eben. He pulled his son away slightly with a chuckle and I cleared my throat.

"Do you have any rubbing alcohol?" Beaumont asked, he was sporting a rather big scratch on his face. I nodded and walked to the cupboard next to the bed. I kept a rather large first-aid kit in there. It was very necessary when it came to my clumsy tendencies.

"Help yourself to whatever's in here." I smiled and handed the kit to Rhodes, who took it with a grateful nod. I looked around at everyone. It seemed like everyone was very tense, I didn't blame them for that. They also seemed a little more relaxed then I was. I felt like they had experienced something like this before. "So-uh. What happened?" I didn't know if I was supposed to know. I didn't know if I was supposed to ask.

There were several stares being passed from person to person, Ralph being the main receiver. "An attack" Moss started to say. It seemed to shock others that he was speaking like this. "I'm not too sure of the origin of the attack but it was from another pack." The words made the room go even quieter. I was reminded of how little I knew of the werewolf world.

"Why would you guys be attacked?" I furrowed my eyebrows. The tension in the room got even thicker. I would understand if they were quiet because of the children, but I guessed that wasn't something which happened within the pack. Everyone knew everything, no matter their age. I was hit with the realization that I didn't know this pack. I didn't know if they were the good guys or the bad guys in the werewolf world. I honestly didn't really care much.

"If I'm completely honest." Tempest started to say as she looked towards me. "THere's no real reason. Though that didn't really feel like an attack." Beaumont looked at her strangely and Randall huffed. I stayed silent as I listened

"I felt pretty attacked." Randall muttered and crossed his arms, or he tried to. He hissed and put his arm back down where a rather nasty injury showed its face."They came onto our territory. That's enough we need for it to be considered an attack."He got a few nods of agreement from those in the room. I noticed that Moss and Abilene were somewhat quiet in their opinion.

"Yes , I see your point." Tempest continued. "It wasn't a vicious attack then." That time it was me who was biting my lip to restrain myself from arguing. I was a human, what would I know about werewolf conflicts? "We were mainly focusing on running and they let us run."

Lathen's steely eyes then looked up and pierced some of his pack members. "Those of you who listened anyway." His voice sounded hostile and intimidating.The pack shifted uncomfortably as the alpha stood up. There wasn't much room to walk around but he managed. "You were ordered to run. Those of you who didn't paid for that with injuries." It was clear who he was talking to. Some members of the pack looked much better then others, it was a little obvious which injuries were caused by branches and which were caused by claws.

Nobody dared to argue with him or meet their alpha's eyes. It was interesting to watch but I felt a lot like a fly on the wall. Lathen seemed satisfied with his actions, I wasn't sure if he was telling them off or if they would receive later punishment and if I'm honest, I wasn't sure I wanted to know.

Ralph stepped forward. "Aiden has a point though." I was startled as my name was mentioned unexpectedly. Others showed similar shocked expressions. "We haven't done anything wrong. Why would anyone come after us?" There were moments of pondering from everyone there.

"The attack wasn't violent. It might be a warning." Eben had one hand on his chin and one under his arm. "Though I'm not sure I knew any of them. That's the odd thing." It caused the air to grow even more tense. "In our world ,everyone knows everyone. Especially if you're a pack close to another. I can't think of anyone who we could've upset."

"Well if you can't think of anyone then there can't be anyone." Rhodes interrupted. "Even, you're the most intelligent out of all of us." The comment got her a few noises of disapproval. "Seriously, you know the most about other packs. You stay in contact and you know everything which happens in the werewolf world. If there was something that we should know then you would be the one to tell us."