chapter 4 reunion and decisions

Chapter 4 reunion and decisions

It was easy enough to find where I was, getting back onto the path again and following it so I could hear the female wolf again. She was louder this time. I suppose she could smell the pups in my arms. The wolves were rather restless as they moved around with each and every step that i took, I had to stop a few times and adjust them in my grip.

The trip didn't take long back to the female wolf, she had attempted to stand up as I approached her. She would be able to smell her pups from where she was. She was just about as cautious as I was. I held her pups tightly to my chest and carefully sat the bag down. The pups excitedly ran out of the bag and over to their mother who seemed overjoyed as far as wolves could express emotions.

The pups went straight for some food whilst the mother licked their fur in joy and happiness. It was a beautiful sight to see. The wolf looked at me, I felt like there was some sort of respect for me which came from her. I didn't move much. I didn't want the wolf to become aggressive towards me, she had her pups with her now. I'm sure that she was a little bit more eager to rip me to shreds. Despite the look of respect.

I noticed how hungry the pups seemed to be and that made me concerned. I did not know how often wolves ate, I just knew the types of things they ate. I didn't know how much or how little. Nor did I know if there was much nearby. The female wolf would not let me near the trap. I'm sure of that, I hadn't done much to prove myself worthy of that just yet.

"I'll be back." I said to the wolf and I headed back in the direction I had went in for the pups.I felt curious eyes bore into my back but i shrugged it off as nothing, surely the wolf would not be able to understand me. Perhaps she was just eager to know why I was leaving. I hadn't come across anything on my path earlier so I strayed slightly. I still couldn't believe I had done that. I breathed in some air.

I had held wolf pups in my arms and returned them back to their mother. The thought alone was enough to make a shiver run down my spine yet it made excitement flow through my veins. It was an odd sensation. I hoped that it wasn't the last time I felt like this. I had done something right, I had seen something magnificent and I hoped to do it again and again if i could.

I started to move at the pace of a light job. I didn't want to get lost in the woods, I also wanted to be as quick as I possibly could. It took around twenty minutes before I found what I was looking for. It was truly disgusting to my eyes and I felt awful about what I was going to do. I told myself it was the lesser evil. So I took the same bag as I had carried the pups in and collected what I had found.

I ran back to the wolves, I wanted to avoid having this thing in my arms for a long period of time. The female wolf watched me somewhat alarmed as I came running back to them. I was a little bit out of breath but that didn't bother me as I knelt down and poured out the contents. I backed away quickly after I nudged it closer to the wolf.

If it were possible it seemed as though the wolf narrowed it's eyes at me as it stared at me curiously. I had sat down quite far from them, I was a little bit tired and if I was honest the thing I carried made me feel a little bit sick. Even if the wolf was suspicious of me, she had no choice but to lean forward and start to eat the food that I presented her with. She seemed to be starving, she didn't eat much of it, or as much as I thought she would eat.

I was actually sitting down with a wolf and her pups whilst they ate. I couldn't believe this was actually happening, the entire twelve hours felt like a dream to me. I had done so much in just a single day. It was astonishing. I knew that if my mother clouds ee me now she would be screaming at me , she wasn't a fan of animals. She would be extremely terrified for my safety. Somehow I wasn't scared.

The pups seemed exhausted. As they fell asleep around their mother. It surprised me . I didn't know how comfortable the pups would be to fall asleep in the open and not in their den. I looked at the female wolf's leg once again. I was too nervous to go closer to them, especially now that the pups were there.

I wouldn't be able to relieve her from her trap today, there was nothing I could do in order to help. Unless I gained her trust. I sighed as i leant my head on the bark of a tree, wincing as a few of my hairs were pulled out. I looked around before I came up with a decision.

As I turned to walk away, I heard another whine come from behind me. I turned to see the wolf looking at me sadly. I don't know how I knew they were sad I just had the feeling that they weren't happy. I tried my best to give them a smile. "I'll be back." I don't know why I bothered to try and communicate with the wolf in hopes that she understood me. To my surprise she put her head down and closed her eyes in response to my words.

I continued on my way until I got to my campsite. I sighed as I brought my food down and I started to pack up my tent. I knew that I couldn't be doing this. I didn't trust myself to be in a place full of wolves, staying here was dangerous. Staying here could cost me my life. I packed up, I put my backpack on my back and I held my rubbish bag in my hand as I started to walk further into the woods.