Chapter 27 Heart to Heart and plans

Eben was hiding something. Whatever he was hiding or the nature of it was not clear to me. It was obvious that he was hiding something. He looked down when he was told that he was the one person with all the answers. He fidgeted slightly and sighed, his eyes trailing around the room. "I've got a theory but it just makes no sense." He sounded frustrated, he sounded tires. It was as though something kept him up at night, I knew that voice and that feeling rather well so it was easy for me to spot.

"Either way, we're alright" Abilene tried to lessen the tension. It worked a little bit. There was a collective sigh around the room and most people focused on something else. It was their children for the couples. I turned to look at Ralph and Randall to see Ralph already staring at me. I tried to give him a small smile in comfort but I wasn't sure how convincing I was. "Will it be safe to go back?"

"Think so." Beaumont answered without taking his eyes off Oran, he reached up slightly and ticked the boy's stomach who erupted in a lot of quiet giggles. Lowell was resting on his mother's shoulder comfortably. "They didn't really stay long enough to do anything."

The lack of movement from Eben and Lathen gained some odd looks from the rest of the pack who weren't distracted. I was paying rather close attention. I was an observer once again as their eyes went to Ralph for a moment. "We'll go back in groups. Three of us will go and the rest will be a little bit behind, not much but enough to know what's happening."

Silent nods came from around the room. Eben didn't look up as his son spoke but i could see that his hands had stopped fidgeting. "You might want to cut your trip short." Hollis chuckled weakly and looked towards me. "Just incase anything like that happens." I frowned but nodded, running a hand through my hair.

"That's a good idea,I'll pack up when you guys go back." I tried to act like this was normal but I could hear the wobble in my own voice. "Though, this place is open for you guys whenever you need it. As long as I'm living here that is." I tried to be somewhat casual about what I was saying. Several attempts have been made to calm down the atmosphere yet none of them had worked.

"Nah, we'll just come in no matter who lives here." Elowen chuckled. "That'd be a lovely surprise. Wouldn't it?" She flipped her hair slightly and put on a higher pitched voice. "Like who wouldn't want us on their doorstep?" I gave a rather loud laugh and clapped my hands silently.

"Okay, yes I wasn't expecting that but I love that." The next hour was a little bit like that. It was a rather similar atmosphere, there were attempts of laughter and breaking the tension but it didn't really work out that well at once. It was more of a gradual transition than anything else. Everyone was tired yet there was really nowhere for them to sleep. The pack had sacrificed my bed for the children, they all just managed to fit on my single bed.

I excused myself for a moment and went towards the balcony. I don't think that the others realized that there was a door behind the curtains so they were a little bit shocked when I went outside. I turned and waved to them slightly and leaned on the wall. It was small, it would be cramped if two people were up here at once. It was comfortable and I was able to get some fresh air.

It had been about five minutes since I went onto the very small balcony and just stared. I stared at the wooden bars which kept me from falling onto the pavement. I stared at the sky, where I couldn't see any stars due to the pollution and clouds. I looked at the buildings which surrounded us, we couldn't see the forest from here.

My thoughts were interrupted as the door opened behind me. I jumped and swirled around, having to lean on the wood for support. Green eyes met my own light gray ones. They were tired though they had a spark in them. "Sorry if I scared you." His quiet voice said as he stepped onto the balcony and joined me. "I thought I'd see how you were doing."

I gave a weak chuckle. "They can hear every word I say though still right?" I had a knowing smirk on my face. He nodded mutely and stared out at the scenery. "I guess you don't see sights like this often?" He shook his head with a small smile and then looked at me, his eyes gleaming in the little streetlights.

"Not at all." His deep voice was soft and comforting. "It's unusual for the stars to be hidden from us. It's around the middle of the night now. I can't really tell where we are as well as I could in the forest. Along with the fact that these buildings would be replaced by trees." I nodded along with what he was saying.

"Yes. That's why I went to the forest, to get away from all this." I gestured to the view and leant on the wood. "You know, despite the ...attack." I whispered the last part slightly and moved closer to him. "I had a pretty good time today, and at the packhouse in general."

He looked at me with slightly wide eyes. "You did?" He moved a piece of hair from his face as he questioned. "I don't really think it's anything special." He trailed off slightly as he then looked down. "Though I suppose, it might be if you're used to this." I gave a small laugh.

"Yes." I said simply, I was unsure about whether or not I wanted to continue. "I'm sure you'll see a lot more of this world, as I get to see a lot more of yours." I slowly and hesitantly reached my hand out, it was smaller than his. It was clear to see as I placed my hand over his on the wood. I don't' know why I felt the need to do this, it just felt natural.

I saw him tense slightly, once he realized what was happening he then relaxed. He seemed more relaxed then he had when he first came out here. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "What makes you say that?" His tone was a little bit higher. I could see that his shoulders were less tense and he was holding onto the railing with a lighter grip.

"Like I said." I nodded with a smile. "We'll start with friendship and see where it takes us."