Chapter 45 A big decision

Ralph's POV

Everything in that moment was wonderful. I started to feel complete. Aiden made me feel like my whole world was in my hands. It was a moment of peace and bliss within the chaos we had found ourselves in recently. When we separated there was a moment of stunned silence from the both of us. I could tell that he was surprised, I was too.

I let out some air from my nose and looked down slightly before looking back up at him. "That...thank you." It was all I could get out vocally. I knew it wasn't the best thing to say or the most expressive. He huffed slightly and raised an eyebrow at me, blinking a few times.

"Thank you?" He seemed to question my words, I could hear some humour or amusement in his tone. "Thank you." He emphasised. It caused me to chuckle lowly, we were still close to each other. "That was, yes. I agree." I couldn't help the chuckle growing louder and I tilted my head back slightly.

"I'm glad that we agree, that was wow." He nodded and fidgeted with his fingers slightly, I could see a smile on his lips. My eyes softened at the cuteness and I nudged him slightly. "Now's not a time to get shy with me. I'm sorry for distracting you." If the happiness wasn't clear on his face I would've been filled to the brim with anxiety.

"Sorry, I'm just a bit surprised." His voice was adorable, it was slightly high I could hear a slight weakness in it too. "That was the best kiss I ever had." A bit of pink appeared on his cheeks as well as mine. It made my smile turn slightly goofy. It was good to know, considering it was my first kiss. It's not something common in the werewolf community. We date but we usually take it slow at first. We don't usually do things like kissing until far into the relationship. I felt like it was different for us. We were soulmates.

"That's reassuring." I said as I reached over and grabbed his laptop. "I'd be happy to do that again at any other point. Though I'm sure we have at least one eavesdropper." I could see hsi cheeks becoming brighter with embarrassment as he nodded without saying anything. I opened his laptop which appeared right back to where he left of. I had no clue what was happening so I cave ti back over to Aiden. "Once it's over there'll hopefully be a lot more."

He looked at me with a cheeky smile, the colour still on his face. "Promise?" I could tell he struggled to get the word out. Je was trying to hold back a laugh. I nodded firmly, I kept my laugh hidden until he burst out into laughter. "I look forward to it." He struggled to get out as he started to continue typing on his laptop. The laptop made several noises which I didn't understand the origin of, yet his expression told me it was good news.

We continued like this for quite a while. It was slightly tense, it wasn't a bad sort of tense. It was just an air of hesitance. I didn't regret the kiss at all. It was just the fact that there was now tension. I wanted to reach over and hold his hand. I wanted to be proud of what happened. I know that humans didn't really do that. Actually, I wasn't too sure if humans did that or not but I'd rather not take any chances.

It didn't take long for my father and Lathen to enter the room. They took one look at me and smirked slightly. It was clear that something had happened. I knew that they could've easily heard our voices and movements, it wouldn't have been too hard to figure out that I had my first kiss.

"How's everything going in here?" Lathen asked and rubbed his hands together nervously. It was something I hardly ever saw. I last saw that look about ten years ago. "I feel like we have a solid plan and strategy in place." He looked towards my father who nodded in agreement.

"Things are going ahead as planned." Aiden said with a smile. I could tell that he liked to be involved. He wasn't as shy as he once was. He wasn't as shy as he was a few hours ago. "It'll be a lot quieter. We have a lot of signatures and people on our side." Alpha nodded to him gratefully.

"That's wonderful!" My father said cheerfully. THere was something about his attitude, it made me hesitant to trust the happiness. "We've had a rather long discussion dn we've decided on a very big decision. Something that we need to announce when everyone's all together."

That worried me immensely. It must include everyone. It must be incredibly big. Abilene was with the kids, I wasn't sure if that meant the children had to be here or not. If the children had to be here for the pack meeting then it would be a monumental change to our lifestyle.

The room was thick with tension once again. It was a confused and concerned fog which filled our senses. It stayed like that until everyone got home from patrol or got back from making sure we had all the emergency equipment that we needed. That order by itself alerted me when alpha said it. I assumed that Lathen was expecting to have us all stay in the house all the time. In a way to avoid getting attacked.

"What's going on?" Beaumont asked as he came into the room. Moss was usually the one to pick up on the different emotions in the pack, never really being vocal about it. Beaumont wasn't terrible at it, he was just a little oblivious to it sometimes. The fact that Beaumont knew that something was bad, showed just how tense everyone was.

"Right..."Lathen had uncertainty in his voice, a sign which we should all be scared of. "Eben and I have decided. That I'm going to retire as alpha." The words stung. White noise entered my ears. There was silence int he room, yet it was so loud. We were just threatened. Why would he retire? He knows that I am next in line to be the alpha, why would he put this pressure on me? His thought process was lost to me but at this point so was my own.

I wasn't ready to be alpha.

The End...

BUT NOT FOR LONG

Part 2 has just been published and can be found on my profile! -hopefully please tell me if you can't find it- I have hopefully added it to the comments of this paragraph!

Thank you so much for your continued support through this book!!