Chapter 39 Rescue and Reason

"Ralph." I breathed out a sigh as I quickly discarded the door. That was something I never thought I would have to say. I was immediately pulled into a hug by Ralph as he entered the apartment .There was a few members of the pack behind him, more specifically, Randalla nd Eben.

"What happened here?" Randall asked as he looked around the place. I was still being hugged rather tightly into Ralph's chest. I appreciated the hug, it wasn't really the best time. I gave a slight chuckle with relief and patted Ralph on the back. He was hesitant letting go but he soon did.

"uh-I'm not exactly sure." I rubbed the back of my neck with a worried frown on my face. "I would just say breaking and entering but..." I trailed off, the realization of what happened finally settling in. My mouth ran dry and my world became a little dizzy. I blinked a few times and clenched my fists, repeating the gesture.

"One moment."I heard Eben say as Ralph led me to my settee once Randall put it back up into its original place. Things seemed to calm down once I was sitting. My breath was rather loud in my ears and I was focused on one spot. "Here Aiden."

A cup was handed to me. I took a small sip and relaxed at the warmth and taste of tea. "Now,what happened?" Randall asked with a slightly softer voice. I was able to look around the room freely now, still shaken up. "This place is a mess..." He trailed off slightly and tried to give a humourless chuckle. "Don't suppose you had a wild party last night?"

I shook my head, I couldn't really give any sort of laugh at the moment. "If youc consider eating ice-cream by myself and heading to bed early a party..." I rubbed my temples, a headache beginning to form. "I was in bed and then they broke in, whoever they are. I think they were looking for me."

The words didn't feel like I was saying them, they felt like someone else was speaking as I could hear the noise echoing in my head. I gave a sigh and took another drink with shaky hands. "How do you know they were after you?" Randall asked. It seemed Ralph had became rather silent, I could see rage building in his eyes. I could feel warmth in my stomach, I wasn't sure if that was the tea or not. "They could've just been burglars."

I cleared my throat and tapped on the cup a few times ."They were looking for me." I said a little bit firmer. I nodded and tried to work through hat had happened. "They were looking for someone, and they were looking for a he. I guess it was me." I took another sip. "They left rather quickly. I guess they heard or aaw you coming? I wasn't sure how many there were."

The three of them looked at each other strangely. "I don't recognise the smell." Ralph said as he stayed next to me. "I feel like I would if there was anything to do with us." He had a frown on his face and he sounded very frustrated. "Then again." he cut himself off with a sigh.

"Humans are involved." Eben pointed out and fished a very old looking phone from his pocket and showed it to me with a slightly proud smile. "We're trying." I gave a chuckle as he pushed buttons with his index finger and held it up to his ear. I couldn't tell who was on the other end, only hearing Eben's part of the conversation. "Hello, yeah we're fine.He's okay. Someone broke in. We'll come as soona s we're able. Love you too." He looked around with a small smile. "Abilene has been worried sick."

I didn't really know why that put a small smile on my face and I gave a sad chuckle. "That's...comforting."I tried to say with good intentthough i'm sure my nerves were still there. "So are uh we going to the packhouse?" I didn't know how to phrase it, I was unsure if I was invited. I didn't particularly want to be left alone.

"Yes." Ralph said immediately. He shifted and cleared his throat. "If you would like. I don't really want to leave you alone." Randall rolled his eyes and sent us kissy faces, I could only see it from the corner of my eye since I was looking towards Ralph. I nodded silently. I wanted to get out of here rather quickly.

"That might be best." It didn't take me long to be well enough to go there. We had to walk, it gave me a lot of time to think about things. I walked beside Ralph, Eben was in front of us and Randall was behind. They felt more like body guards at that point. I had a slight redness to my cheeks the entire time. It was slightly embarrassing that these things had to be put into place.

"Aiden!" Abilene said as she rushed from the house with Hollis following behind her. They each ran up to me and gave me a hug. "I'm so glad you're alright." She was then followed by Hollis who gave me a rather bone crushing hug. He then ruffled my hair and checked me for injuries. "What happened?"

Eben then cleared his throat and the two of them backed off with slight apologies. I wanted to reassure them that it was alright though my level of persuasion was not very high. "We'll discuss it in the morning." He then looked around the forest before he looked towards me. "You can stay with Ralph and Randall if that's alright? We could set up a place in the living room if not?"

I rubbed the back of my neck, the redness increasing. "I wouldn't mind. If you guys don't?" I asked the brothers, I knew the wolves were very territorial. They shook their heads. I had been in their room before. I didn't know how much the bond between Ralph and I had influence on their decisions.

"I don't mind!" Randall grinned and walked over to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Getting to know my future brother-in-law." I grimeced slightly. I didn't take the chance completely off the table. It was just odd to hear someone say it. Especially with other stresses at the moment.

"Randall?" Ralph said with a very neutral tone. Randall didn't have to move much in order to show that Ralph had his attention. "Shut up." There was a slight laugh in his tone but I could see seriousness in his eyes. I was grateful for that. I wasn't feeling pressured in any way to go along with it.

"Fine." Randall whined as he led me into the house. "It's late, we should probably try and get some rest before tomorrow." I knew that I wouldn't be getting any sleep that night. It was impossible for me to sleep after having a nightmare, I didn't even consider trying to fall asleep.

I was pushed softly towards Ralph's bed when we entered the bedroom. I waited until Ralph came in and nodded with a chuckle. I felt like I was in the room for the first time as I sat on the corner of the bed, the scent of Ralph filled my nose as he came to sit beside me.

"I'm sorry it's not the comfiest thing ever." He patted the rather firm mattress which he slept on. "I could uh...make it more comfortable?" I furrowed my eyebrows at him and tilted my head in confusion. He held up a finger and then left the room. I looked towards Randall but he just watched with an entertained expression.

Not two minutes later a wolf came through the door. A wolf with very bright green eyes. "Oh that's what you meant." I nodded and chuckled. "I'm ...okay yes please." The wolf jumped ont he bed and circled a few times before lying down and waiting for me. I looked towards Randall again ut he just gestured for me to lie down. "Goodnight Randall. Goodnight Ralph."

I felt a vibration coming from Ralph and took it as a reply. I got a very tired 'goodnight' from Randall. I could tell he was falling asleep. It surprised me how well I managed to sleep that night. It was only a few hours but it was peaceful. As someone who wouldn't usually sleep after such a scare, it was warm and blissful.