Chapter 43 warning

Chapter 43 Warning

The pack started coming in slowly from the back door. They all looked warm and sweaty from the work that they had done. I watched on silently, I felt like an intruder in their home. They may have invited me over for my own safety, yet I still felt like I didn't know them very well. "Who is it?" Rhodes asked with confusion on her face.

Ralph shook his head. "I don't know, anyone else?" He scanned the rest of the pack who shook their heads. I could hear some rather frantic footsteps as Lathen and Eben came into the living room hastily. They looked around to see who was here and gave a sigh of relief. "Dad who is it?"

Eben had worry etched all over his features, it was something I had seen a lot recently. "Lets just hope we're wrong." He looked at everyone sternly before looking to Lathen who nodded firmly. "Stay on guard. Ralph, stay with Aiden." I looked towards Ralph. He was looking straight at his father and nodded, walking back to me and holding my hand. Whoever they thought it was must be dangerous.

"Yes, Eben." Everyone said in unison. I felt as though they had trained to do that for years, it might have been part of the connection thing Ralph talked about earlier. I wasn't too sure. Abilene walked closer to Ralph and I with a smile. The kids followed her quietly and obediently. Melina walked over to me and held out her arms slightly. I looked towards Abilene who nodded.

"We'll stay with you, I don't want the kids going out to see whoever it is." I nodded slightly in understanding. It was then there was a rather polite yet loud knock on the door. That was better than the last time I suppose. I wasn't quick to assume that mannars meant kind. "It might seem far from logical, having the ...non-big wolves all together. It's just something we've always done to keep the children all together."

"No no it makes sense." I reassured as I stayed where I was with Melina in my lap. Lathen cleared his throat and went to answer the door. I could see into the hallway fromw here I was. The pack created a sort of line formation. Lathen and Eben were at the front. Behind Eben was Rhodes, Hollis and tempest. Then behind Lathen was Beaumont, Elowen and Moss.

The door was opened and I coudln't see who was there. I could hear a deep voice say "Lathen." I couldn't tell the intentions of the person by just their tone of voice. It was polite yet strained. "Eben, pack." I felt a shiver run down my spine at how he addressed everyone. "Don't worry, I'm here on a peaceful call."

"Travis." The name made my eyebrows rise. I looked towards Ralph to see some concern on his face. Randall was just within the doorway, he was leaning on it slightly. I felt like he was a sort of bodyguard. "My apologies if I find that difficult to believe."

I could hear a chuckle. "Well then it seems that nothing's changed." They seemed humoured. "Though I must ask, can I come in? We could discuss things in your ...training grounds if you'd wish." I could hear a sickly distaste in his tone. It made me grit my teeth and dislike the person before I even saw him. "I am also aware that there's a human here...they might also wish to listen."

Ralph's hold on me got stronger and tighter, I heard him give a deep growl. It was odd for me to witness though I suppose it should've been expected. Melina looked up with concern. I could only give her a comforting smile. I waited as I coudln't hear anything. I started to hear footsteps. From where I was I could see a man with dark hair and a dark suit. He looked extremely out of place in here. Everyone else was wearing shorts and vests, myself being in a T-shirt and jeans.

"They're going out the back." Ralph said and watched through the window. "It's more protection out there." He then turned to me. "Would you like to stay here or go into the kitchen?" I trusted Ralph, I knew that he wouldn't give me options that he didn't want me to take, he knew that there would be no immediate danger.

"Can we go into the kitchen." He nodded. I tried to get Melina off my lap but she put her arms around my neck. I didn't want to use any of my strength so I looked towards Abilene for help. She gave a small laugh and came over. SHe knelt down in front of me and gave Melina a strict look. The child slowly unwrapped her arms from around my neck and so I stood up.

We walked into the kitchen. The back door was left open so it was easy to see what was happening. The man,Travis, had very dark hair and a beard. He looked rather posh and as though he was ready for a business consultation rather than dealing with werewolves. "So, I am sure that you are aware of the construction and demolition which has been put in place for this area of the forest." Even though he couldn't see me, I could feel his eyes burning a hole in my forehead.

"We are more than aware of it." Tempest answered with a very harsh voice. I saw Eben glance back at her and gave her a somewhat stern stare. It wasn't' too serious. The understanding between them about the current events meant that he couldn't judge too much.

"Yes, it seems your human has taught you all so much." I couldn't tell if Travis was being sarcastic or not. He was severely outnumbered. He had come with two other people. They were both male and dressed in a similar fashion. They looked like people who you would expect to see in a spy movie. "I'm giving you this warning. Call it off."

His voice was dangerous. It was as though he was about to sue the pack for all they had, which was very little. Eben and Lathen shared a look. They gave another nod to each other. "Or what?" Lathen asked with a similar tone. There was a clear difference between the two of them. One was aggressive and another was defensive.

"Or else the humans will cause chaos." Travis said with an evil grin. "I know you won't be able to fight them claw to nail."