chapter 31 interesting developments

Chapter 31 Interesting developments

Aiden's POV

Harlow and I went downstairs slowly. We could hear our father moving around downstairs as he took his shoes and coat off. We shared a looka nd creeped down stairs with small smiles. "Hey dad." I said as I took his coat off him. He looked at me in slight surprise but he had a smile on his face.

"Ah Aiden didn't realize you'd be here." he said hurriedly, he was a bit out of breath. I had assumed that he had rushed home after work. He didn't have a car , that was something that caused quite a commotion a few times. "I was at work all day." he gave a slight chuckle, his voice was deep and hoarse. He had to shout quite a bit at work. I didn't know much of what he did but his voice was in a constant state of being hoarse.

"Yeah, I must've came just after you left." I tried to stay positive ."though the door was still open?" I phrased it like a question. I wasn't really looking for him to confirm or deny that fact. I had my key on me but I didn't need them to open the door, I didn't have to fish them out of the bottom of my bag. "Were you expecting anyone?"

"Yes." he said rather quickly as he crossed his arms and leant on the shoe box. "Your mother's doctor was supposed to be stopping by...I think." He ran a hand down his face and looked towards me, exhausted. "I don't know how I get through the days." He mumbled before heading into the living room. I looked towards Harlow with worry in my eyes. I wasn't sure if he was telling the truth. My brother shook his head slightly and mouthed 'tomorrow' to me.

I entered the living room hesitantly. I looked around even though nothing had changed in the few hours I was away from it. Mam was still snoring , rather lightly this time, and father was sat on the chair in front of the television. Before university had started up again, we had figured that mam would sleep through most television shows. "Rough day?" I asked quietly.

Dad nodded and didn't remove his eyes from the television. "Yes, we were checking out some places where we could build some new houses and office areas." he cleared his throat and took a drink from the can which I had assumed was there the entire day. I made a slightly disgusted face. I wasn't against drinking, that just seemed disgusting to me. The drink had been there all day. "It's going to take more work to tear down then it's going to in order to build but it'll be worth it."

Under his mustache and beard I could see a rather excited grin. "wait , is it a forest or are there houses already there?" I asked curiously, I had my fingers crossed in hopes that he was already talking about houses. This is one of the reasons that ad and I never really got along. He tore down habitats whilst I studied and wanted to preserve them. I gave a slight sigh "dad-"

"Don't dad me." he put a finger up and stopped me before I could get the rest of my sentence out. I paused and bit my bottom lip in slight anger. I really disliked being interrupted. "This is necessary and it's a wonderful opportunity. Perhaps you'll be able to get a job there." Harlow sensed the danger which was coming.

It happened every time we had a conversation. He would change every single little thing into telling me that I should be getting a job. Even Harlow had a job. Of course, it was a small job as he still couldn't be fully employed but he got paid for it. I was at university, I studied to get the best grades I could in order to get a good paying job in the future. Instead of getting angry like I did every other time, I didn't snap. I just sighed and sat back. Ralph was rubbing off on me.

It's odd to think that he was affecting me this much only after knowing him for a short while. It was the entire pack really. They lived in the middle of the forest. They managed to get by with whatever they could find. I had a lot of time to reflect on this when I was in the forest. I had a lot of time to think about issues such as why we need money and what it's really used for.

Of course I wasn't going to tell anyone this,yet. I would tell anyone about the friends which I had made. I wouldn't lie to my family. I highly doubted anyone but Harlow would be bothered to hear about them. Harlow just gave me a strange look as I sat back and folded my arms with a slight huff. I tried to give a convincing smile. Dad paid this no mind as he continued to watch the television.

"You see that? There?" He pointed with his middle finger to the television as he used the hand which was holding the can in order to gesture. "That's where it's going to be. Very big and grand." He had a satisfied smile on his face. I could practically see the pound signs in his eyes. I frowned as I looked towards the television, the place looked familiar.

"Isn't that the forest you were staying in Aiden?" Harlow asked with a curious tone. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped as I stared at the screen. That was exactly what it was. It was the forest which I had stayed in for the past few nights. It is the forest which belonged to the wolves, it was the forest where Ralph's pack was. I had to go back, I had to tell them.

I didn't have time to respond as a weak voice called out "Good morning." Harlow and I looked over to see our mother's gray eyes opened slightly and we immediately stood up. She gave a slight chuckle at our eagerness as we each gave her a hug. "How was uh- how was the trip? And school?" She furrowed her eyebrows slightly as she looked at me, she was probably wondering why I was here.

"It was fun and relaxing but I had to cut it short." I said with a small smile. Harlow gave me a slight knowing look and It took everything in me to not tell him to shut up and punch him playfully. Dad still hadn't moved but he was looking towards us with an expression I couldn't quite read.

"School was...school." Harlow rolled his eyes slightly. I felt somewhat left out , I could tell that mam knew something I didn't but I really didn't blame them. Harlow and mam were close so I suppose he woul tell her what was up. "Other then that All's going well." his expression brightened slightly.

"Good to hear." She said with a smile as she tried to reach up, I held one of her hands and Harlow held the other. "well...I hope that your happy days continue." she coughed slightly. It was a light cough but I could hear there was something on her chest.

"How are you?" I asked, it was a routine for me to ask whenever I visited. When we were alone she would chuckle at me, telling me not to worry about her and she'd make me lean down so she could give me a kiss on my forehead. I didn't often ask when there were others around.

"I'm...same I suppose." She had fondness in her gaze as she looked around the room with a smile. "I don't think anything has changed." Oh I would disagree with that.