Chapter 5

Train Wreck – James Arthur.

"No stain was on her little heart; sin had not entered there, and innocence slept sweetly on; that pale white brow so fair. She was too pure for this cold Earth; too beautiful to stay; and so, God's holy angel bore; our darling one away." – "Darling Swept Away" Anonymous

******

🦄Emily🦄

"Where were you?" he asks as soon as I step inside the apartment.

"I told you where I was going before I left," I tell him putting my keys and flash drive on the table next to the door.

"You lied," he says turning around to face me, the tangerine mid-century couch sifting under his weight.

"I did not," I tell him leaning against the royal blue wall to remove my shoes.

"I heard you made a new friend today," he says sitting forward, placing his elbows on his knees.

"I think I did," I say rolling my head back as my bare feet touch the golden oak hardwood floor.

"You think you did?" he asks, if I know him well enough, he's probably already irritated.

"Yes, that's what I said," I say walking past him to the kitchen.

"Why did you go there Emily?" he asks walking behind me.

"Why did I go where?" I ask him studying the white walls and royal blue cupboards in the kitchen; I designed the place but I didn't know the colours were this interesting.

"To Valentina-Rosa's apartment complex," he asks leaning against the doorframe.

"I went to an apartment complex to pick up a flash drive for an assignment" I point to the table beside the front door.

"I didn't know she lived there, hell I didn't even know what she looked like until earlier today," I tell him exasperated.

"That's exactly why I keep telling you you shouldn't speak to strangers now you're going to put my life in misery all because you couldn't keep your mouth shut," he says behind me, anger dripping off every word.

"I'm sick of you telling me what to do and acting like you're my father" I mutter under my breath.

"What was that?" he asks his voice low and closer to my ear than it was a moment.

"I said you told me that you guys were no longer together so what's the big deal now?" I ask as I pull out the seasoned chicken from the shelf on the fridge.

"So, because I told you that we broke up you thought that it was okay for you to just broadcast our relationship to somebody named Valentina-Rosa? She's the only Valentina-Rosa that I know in this county" he asks still every bit as irritated as he was a moment ago.

"She was the one that asked Carson! She saw the picture of the two of us on my lock screen; the picture that might I add you've been forcing me to keep there and she asked me about our relationship. I didn't just see her and decide that I should tell her about the two of us." I slam the dish against the white granite countertop looking up at him.

"You need to calm down," he says his voice low and threatening.

"You need to shut up and leave me alone" I hiss throwing my hands up in the air completely frustrated.

The fire I see in his eyes when the words leave my lips matches the fire that has been burning inside of what's left of my heart all day.

"What did you just say?" he asks walking closer, eyes still ablaze, voice dripping with anger.