Chapter 12

The Lion Sleeps Tonight – The Tokens.

"You mess with one of us you mess with all of us" – A New Yorker on Bridge (Spiderman).

*This is just a filler*

*****

🦁Alexandre🦁

"Bonne nuit" I whisper picking up my phone from the nightstand.

"You're not sleeping in here?" she asks lifting her head off the pillow to look up at me.

"No, I'm going to sleep in one of the guest rooms," I tell her standing at the side of the bed.

"But isn't this your room?" she asks propping herself up on her elbow.

"It is" I nod at her.

"So why am I sleeping in here and not in a guest room like all the others?" she asks, her bruised face drawn into a considerate frown.

"Because I want you to be comfortable," I tell her putting my hands in the pockets of my sweat pants.

"So, the guest rooms aren't comfortable enough for me but they're comfortable enough for you and the others?" she asks a small challenging smirk on her face.

"I just want you to be comfortable that's all," I tell her rocking back on the balls of my feet.

"And what about you? Will you be comfortable sleeping in a guestroom?" she asks yawning.

"I'll make it work" I smile at her turning away.

"Stay with me until I fall asleep at least" she grabs my hand making me turn around. I want to say no, I want to tell her to just go to sleep; the bruises on her face, the little cuts and bruises running along her body I can't stand to look at them anymore.

It makes me sick to think that a man did this to her, a man that claims to love and adore her, a man that has been with her for years, a man that she loves. Is this really how our generation sees love?

It makes me sick to know that he did this to her and Aurora, robbed Emily of her child and he's alive, walking around as if he did nothing. I don't want to be around Valentina-Rosa for another minute, I want to find Carson and make him feel sorry for everything that he has done to my friends; but those eyes, so beautiful, so hopeful, so broken, so tired, staring in my soul holds me in place.

"N'importe quoi pour vous Rouge" I smile sitting on the bed beside her.

"Grazie" she smiles at me putting her head back down on the pillow.

She closes her eyes and the yellowish-purple bruise under her left eye makes anger boil inside of me.

How can a man raise his hand to hit a woman?

How can he force himself onto a woman, multiple times and still sleep at night?

How can he take the life of his own child and look its mother in her eyes every day telling her that she shouldn't feel sorry for herself?

How can one man, be so cold?

Does he not have any decency at all?

Does he not have a heart?

He does all this and I'm sure he has done more yet he finds it in himself to live every day;

He finds it in himself to smile every day.

What kinds of demons does he have running around his mind that make him feel like this kind of behavior is okay?

"Non andare" she stirs lightly in her sleep; light snores following shortly after.