Chapter 37

○ Chapter 37 : ○
○ "Those That Remain" ○

《•|•-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-•|•》
1st Person P.O.V.

Zenitsu came over to us, Nezuko in her box, on his back, and he stood silent for a moment.

"When the train went off the tracks... Rengoku used a bunch of techniques to minimize the damage to the train cars."

Tanjiro spoke up.
"I know he did."

"I can't believe he... he's dead... Was there really an Upper Moon?"

"Yes."
He answered.

"Why did it come here? Was it that powerful?"

"Yes."
He repeated.

I balled the fabric of my pants in my fists, shivering from tears and the overwhelming sorrow.

"This is so frustrating... Every time I learn something knew, I learn just how much more I don't know. All of these amazing people have fighting skill and power... And I'm still so far behind them..."

I hiccup.
"I feel like I'm falling behind. What kind of Avatar will I be if I can't even come close to becoming anything like Rengoku? What kind of Avatar will I be if I can't protect those right next to me?"

Zenitsu sobbed, Tanjiro crying silently by my side, looking at me with sorrow.

"Don't dwell on such weak thoughts!"
Inosuke raised his voice, making me lift my gaze.

"You either can or you can't! Sitting here and wandering about maybes won't do you any good! He said he believed in us, didn't he?! Don't worry about anything other than living up to that!"

His voice is full of strength, yet he's shaking with tears as well.
"Everything that has died will return to the earth. Crying won't bring any of them back! No matter how frustrated you are, don't cry! Even if you believe you're weak and unworthy, you must keep on living!"

Zenitsu sniffled.
"But you're crying, too... The tears are flowing out of your mask..."

Inosuke headbutted him.
"I'm not crying!"

I moved close to Tanjiro, pulling him tightly into my arms, the two of us sobbing into the other's shoulder as Kakushi gave us time to mourn, Inosuke pulling at the two of us, shouting to stop weeping.

I pull him down as well, ignoring his fists pounding into my back as I hug him tightly.

The Kakushi took us away once we had mourned, and the news of Rengoku's death spread and eventually reached Master Ubuyashiki and the other Hashira.

Returned to the butterfly mansion, we were given time alone to rest, Aoi silently tending to my wounds, giving me a hug before she left me alone, saying a quick condolance. Tanjiro and I shared an equal suffering and sat for hours alone together, silent and grieving. Even Inosuke wailed while we were being brought back.

Zenitsu did his best to try and cheer us up, and even Inosuke came by a few times to check up on me, tugging at my arms and trying to drag me out of bed to go train with him to make me feel better.