Chapter 40

○ Chapter 40 : ○
○ "Upper Moon Six : Daki" ○

《•|•-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-•|•》

Inosuke and I rush around throughout the entire house, finding no sign of where exactly the demon came from, even splitting up at times.

All this time, this horrid weight has settled on my shoulders, sending shivers down and up my spine again and again. It's unshakeable, suffocating, even.
"M/N! Move!"

I ignore Inosuke, and listen.
I heard something... No... No, that's not it. I felt something. I know I did. Down below, beneath this floor and beneath my feet. Something just moved past us.

"M/N!!"
He shouts again, annoyed at my silence.

"Inosuke."
He paused his antics.
"I'm going out this way."
I say, pointing to the window on my left, beginning to take off my boots and unbutton my jacket.

"The hell are you doing?!"

"Trust me! Inosuke, find and help the others!"
I leave them both behind and go out through the window, ignoring Inosuke's confusion.
The ground is rough, but it's necessary. I breathe deeply and focus, shutting my eyes.
I'm not skilled enough to feel the vibrations of everything like Inosuke does, or even see without my eyes like him, but something is better than nothing.

I know I felt something. Where did it come from? Come on, demon, make a move...

I waited a while, until something made me perk up. It was a small rumble erupt from deep below.
Something! Finally! I just need to locate it. Even a general direction is fine.

I focused all of my attention to the ground. Nothing else mattered.
Drown out everything else. There is no time. Focus.

"You have to feel the earth! It's not going to listen to you, it's not going to just do what you tell it to! Work with it! You're not separate, be the ground to feel the ground!"

Inosuke's words are hard to get out of my head.
"Be the ground to feel the ground"?
How the hell is that even supposed to work?
Be the ground.
Be the ground...?

I bury my feet slightly deeper into the ground, and it in turn allowed me to sink my weight further down. I felt the density of it, the sheer weight that I stood atop of, my stance unwavering.
I have no time, but I can't force this.

I just need to wait and listen. Wait for the right opportunity, then strike. Endure anything that tries to distract me. I can't afford to make a mistake. Not anymore.
Steady. Keep steady. Stand firm and...

"There you are."
With all my might, I quickly bury my fist into the earth, and am met with no opposition as it shook and crumbled in contact with my hand. Without opening my eyes, I felt as echoes rang out in a large system of tunnels.

Someone else is down there, and they're active. It's gotta be Zenitsu. I'm sure he can handle it, now, just follow the echo and find Tanjiro.
I open my eyes again and run towards the furthest echo, stomping as I run to keep the ringing of the ground constant. I left behind prints in the ground, and people shouted and scattered as I stormed through.

Atop of a roof farther away from me, in a pile of crumbled tiles, I saw Tanjiro.
Without a moment's notice I rush to his side, his rapid panting audible from below.