TWENTY-FOUR

Chae Byeol

It was the next day and I felt tired. It was already 9am but I still was in bed. Enjoying every second of it.

"Get up!"

Hyungwon busted my door open but I just ignored him, pretending I was still asleep. I then felt him slap my butt hard.

"Ah!"

I shot up and grabbed my buttons. I whined in pain.

"What's wrong with you?!"

I yelled at him, falling back into my sheets.

"Only way to wake you up, anyways, the doctor said he needed to see us."

I looked at him confused. I didn't have any appointments this week.

"What? Why?"

He shrugged and moved towards the door.

"We're leaving in 30 mins."

I groaned as he left my room. My butt still felt sore. I tried to plan how fast I could get ready so I can sleep as much as I could.

~

I was sat in one the chairs of the doctor's office. I leaned my head on my brother who was next to me. He was just playing a random game on his phone.

The doctor called my mom only in to his office, which I thought was weird, but we just waited outside.

The door opened and I saw my mom come out. Her face was unreadable but that only made me more worried. She called for both of us. We got up and went inside the office.

There were only two chairs so my mom and I sat down while my brother stood behind us.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?"

I looked to the doctor. Their face didn't help my nerves.

"Byeol, I am going to be honest. With the incidents you have had, your heart is in bad condition and it getting worse by the minute. I don't know..... I don't know if you'll live past your twenties."

I stared at them, my mind felt empty.

My twenties?!? B-But there is so much I haven't done. I haven't even been to Japan-

I was brought out of my thoughts by my mom's sniffling.

"There is a way to help, we can perform surgery on your heart. I have spoken to your mom about the details already. She agreed that you would decide."

I looked between the doctor and my mom.

"W-Well of course I want to do the surgery. It will help me right?"

The doctor sighed.

"It will but you're at risk during the surgery. It's a very difficult procedure since your condition is very rare. Your survival rate is.....pretty low."