Chapter 59

“Tell me again, from the beginning,” Jisoo said impatiently from the couch. She was occasionally clicking her tongue to relieve her impatience.

“I think I’ve told you enough. There’s nothing more to tell, Chu,” Jennie said dismissively in a seemingly forced bored tone. She had not so much as raise her head and paid Jisoo a glance, perhaps to emphasize that she was not in the mood for discussion.

But Jisoo knew better. She knew exactly that Jennie was intentionally not paying her the attention she was demanding. And so Jisoo stood up and transported herself swiftly in front of Jennie, who appeared to be busy reviewing and signing papers after papers on her table, with her brows knotted on her pretty forehead in concentration.

“Jendeuk, look at me,” Jisoo said after she settled herself on one of the cushioned chairs in front of Jennie’s desk.

But Jennie acted like she did not hear Jisoo at all. Instead, she buried her face on the folder she was currently dealing with and held it high enough to obscure her face from Jisoo’s scrutiny.

Jisoo impatiently knocked her knuckles on the surface of the polished table and was looking at Jennie with utmost anticipation.

“Hello?” Jisoo was peering through her spectacles.

“What?” Jennie asked, feigning innocence when she finally emerged from behind the dark folder, with the company logo emblazoned in bright gold on the front.

Now you’re looking,” Jisoo remarked with a victorius smirk. “Tell me you did not skip any details,” she told Jennie, who in return, rolled her eyes dramatically and returned her attention to the papers instead of indulging Jisoo's nagging.

But after a moment, Jennie sighed and dropped her pen for a second or so, and said, “I did not skip any details. Now let me do my job or the boards will start breathing down my neck again,” and then picked up her pen once again and returned her attention to the papers.

Of course, she did skip some details when she told Jisoo what happened in the dawn of Saturday, back at Lisa’s place. Especially the part where she and Lisa had ended up in bed, because that part was too private and intimate for Jisoo to know.

She and Jisoo already had this conversation before, not just once. She called Jisoo the moment she arrived home Saturday morning, from Lisa's. They talked about it the whole day and until Sunday evening when Jisoo dropped by the mansion an hour past dinnertime and stayed until nine. And well, Jisoo wasn't the kind to just settle with what was given to her. Jisoo would dig deeper and she did exactly that to Jennie. Jisoo was asking the most unexpected questions, extracting the rawest and most honest answers from Jennie, only to analyze it passionately until she was satisfied with whatever conclusions she would arrive to and then she would start looking at the situation from another perspective and do same exhausting but  mind-stimulating process again. And here she was again today, in broad daylight and while Jennie was in the middle of reviewing and signing important papers.

But Jennie was not up to it anymore. Not today, at least. Jennie thought that retelling it again would only result to shredding herself into pieces once again. Jennie thought she had grown tired of it, of recalling what she and Lisa had talked about – and not talked about – and did and didn’t do, two days ago. She thought it would drain what’s left of her energy and sanity if she would start reliving again what transpired and did not transpire between them. Because it was a rollercoaster of emotions, she realized, that would only lead to one unequivocal conclusion – a depressing ending. One where she would never see Leo and Luca again and one where she had to say goodbye to Lisa, for good.

Jennie hated that part, most especially. She hated and regretted it at the same time. She just walked away after a kiss on the cheek. She just walked away when she could have stayed a little bit longer and maybe, just maybe, she and Lisa could’ve arrived at a better solution, a fair agreement. For whatever it’s worth. She'd be lying to herself if she'd say she did not, at one ppint or another, blame herself after that. Jennie released another sigh. One that did not escape Jisoo's attentiveness.