Chapter 43

"So, what happened exactly?" Chaeyoung asked after Jisoo murmured 'thank you' as she handed her a steaming mug of hot drink.

"Love happened, I guess," Jisoo replied weakly and took a sip on the hot tea. She felt so tired she almost couldn't hear her own voice.

It was five past three in the morning. They were sitting from across each other on Chaeyoung's island table in the kitchen. They were both holding a mug of their own and Jisoo's sleep-deprived, bloodshot eyes had already wandered curiously, although unwillingly, around Chaeyoung's place before the redhead had returned from fixing herself after they took care of Lisa's friend. She was particularly musing about how almost everything in the redhead's place speaks music, including the red bistro mug she was holding, which had tiny musical notes painted around it, but was too tired to even start a conversation about it.

"That's profound," Chaeyoung said as she looked over at the couch, where Doona was sleeping, covered with a fleece blanket. "I hope the profundity also explains why she drunk herself to death?" she inquired.

They had changed Doona's clothes with one of Chaeyoung's pair of pajamas after they cleaned her up, with Jisoo somewhat hesitant to helped Chaeyoung undressed the overly-intoxicated, semi-conscious Doona. It was Jisoo's first time seeing a naked body of a full-grown woman, other than her own, of course, and it made her feel slightly awkward. Which Chaeyoung only brushed off by telling her that, "What you see is what you have, Jisoo Kim. It should be easy."

Only, it wasn't. Doona had made sure it would never be easy for Jisoo. What with Doona mumbling on her sleep, with occasional screamings and yellings of profanities about rude drivers and the Empire State and would flung her arms sometimes, making it hard for them to change her with something that doesn't smell of bile and vodka, and there was Jisoo avoiding to take a glimpse on Doona's naked body.

A small tin pail was placed beside the couch, in case Doona would suddenly wake up and vomit. She had thrown up, twice, since their arrival and it absolutely surprised Jisoo how Chaeyoung had handled the whole situation with such placidity, like she was used to it.

"Possibly. She was very dedicated to drink every glass," Jisoo said. "She missed the last one, though. She said she was aiming to complete the forty shots bef--"

"FORTY??? She's crazy!" Chaeyoung choked with her tea, with wild eyes in disbelief.

"--fore she'd go home and suffer a bad hangover when she wakes up tomorrow. Her words," Jisoo continued.

"No wonder Lisa's tolerance to alcohol is exemplary. She's got an outstanding teacher," she said with a hint of sarcasm, shaking her head in bewilderment. "Did Lisa drink that much, too?" she asked.

Jisoo shook her head after she took several sips from her mug. It was black tea. Sweet and spicy and it was nothing like the last drink that the redhead had given her. She could still taste the disgusting cocktail on her mouth whenever she would think about it. And the kiss, too.

No! Jisoo screamed internally as she pulled her thoughts away from that memory. She shouldn't be thinking about that right now, Jisoo reminded herself calmly. Not when she reeked of vomit and looked harassed. And especially not when she was still inside the redhead's lair, which, by the way, smelled of raspberry and something else she couldn't wrap her mind around yet, with all these weird-but-in-a-good-kind-of-weird-looking tiny figurines of fish and flowers placed on a corner shelf and a goldfish inside a tank aquarium on the living room that had been staring at her since their arrival. As though it was judging her.

"No," Jisoo said, shaking her head to free herself from the unwanted thoughts. "She looked sober when we found her," she added. The tea, she decided, was good for her. It was soothing and it was stabilizing her nerves.