Chapter 16

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Lisa asked again.

They were walking away from the premise of the private art museum near the foot of Mireuksan of the late painter Jeon Hyuck Lim, where Lisa took Jennie after their short but "eventful" excursion a thousand feet above the mountain.

Lisa wanted badly to try to climb the wooden stairway towards the peak of Mireuksan but she didn't want to leave Jennie behind on the observatory all by herself. She ditched the idea after she saw how messed up Jennie was because of her basiphobia. So, after they talked about Jennie's unknown fear of falling and standing on higher grounds over a heartful amount of sandwiches and cups of hot drinks offered at the snack bars around the observatory, Lisa decided she'd take Jennie down to the museum five minutes away from the foot of Mireuksan. Where they had fun counting the small ceramic tiles covering the house that made the large mosaics on the walls.

"Lisa, you've asked me the same question, thrice, already," Jennie said, now sounding exasperated, "Yes, I'm sure. And yes, let's do it."

Lisa took a glance sideways towards Jennie, who was walking casually beside her, hands tucked comfortably inside the deep pockets of her overcoat, extending her steps a little longer to keep up with Lisa's long strides. Her jetblack hair was blown softly by the wind, exposing the delicate skin of her pearly white neck .

"But..." Lisa sighed. "Would you like to grab some snack or something first? We sure need all the protein and energy we could get before we..." Lisa suggested.

There was hesitation on her voice, silently regretting why she overeagerly and overenthusiastically suggested and invited Jennie a while ago, while they were inside the museum, to do something she thought was the greatest idea she could come up with. And now, while looking at Jennie's determination and eagerness painted all over her face, Lisa wasn't sure anymore. She wanted to stall their leaving Tongyeong. She wanted to sit down and discuss with Jennie about how absurd the idea was in the first place.

"No, I'm still full," Jennie answered and halted her steps. "Can you please tell me why you look so worried all of a sudden?" Jennie asked curiously.

"What? Me, worried? No, I'm certainly not," Lisa denied, shaking her head, faking a smiling that made her look like she's suffering from a bad toothache and trying so hard to hide the worried, confused and rueful look on her face.

Jennie smiled and then chuckled and casually maneuvered her hand towards Lisa's arm, linking their arms together, still keeping up with Lisa's long strides.

"You didn't have that look when we were standing a thousand feet up in the sky and I was a mess," Jennie said. "What troubles you, really?"

Lisa halted her steps this time and turned to face Jennie, looking serious.

"It's a 4-hour drive, Jennie. Five, if we make a lot of stops--," she paused, spreading her hand open, showing Jennie her five long fingers and held her breath.

"And?"

"And my car, well, my car...it's not a Porsche and it doesn't smell strawberry and spring at all. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable or whatev...er?" Lisa answered, biting her lower lip, looking like she just confessed a deadly sin.

Jennie laughed loudly as if Lisa have just told her the funniest joke in her lifetime, which bewildered Lisa.

"Does my car smell strawberry and spring? Really?"

Lisa nodded and said, "Yes. Don't you know? It's your car."

"Wow! I didn't notice that at all," Jennie said, laughing. "I ride that car everyday and doesn't even notice anything special in it other than it's my car and it's special to me."