Chapter 14

This all seemed like a dream; one where the person I loved the most was on the edge of death. You could say it was a nightmare and I hated it with a passion. To make it worse, I couldn't allow the emotional release as I had vowed to be strong for Tiago.

Despite the tears that threatened to spill out, the painful constrictions in my throat, the sickness in my gut, I remained composed on the outside.

For a brief moment I looked over at Tiago and seeing him lose hope broke me. He looked at Eldon as if that may be the last time he saw him. On the other hand, Eldon himself didn't make it easy for us with his pale skin and unmoving body. I craved for at least a twitch to show us that he was still holding on but it never came.

His fingers lay beside his limp body displaying shades of white and purple. It was as if each passing moment was a breath away from the land of the eternally rested. Like he was slipping right out of my reach as the clock ticked.

Nurse Simmons entered the room once again to check on Eldon and informed us that nothing much had changed. I looked at her with a stoned look and awarded her a brief nod. Seeing my distraught state, she knelt infront of the couch I was sitted on and held both my hands in a gentle manner. I could tell she was a caring and loving mother unlike mine.

'I know I have been talking to you as a nurse but right now I'll play the role of a mother. Yes, Eldon is in a critical state but it doesn't mean he won't make it. In all my years working in this business, I've seen patients with worse conditions survive. And Daisy, it's okay to cry. It doesn't make you seem weak but you have to let it out so that when he wakes up he can find you strong and healthy.' She said in a sweet calm voice.

I briefly nodded giving her a half smile to show my appreciation. Her words gave me a boost out of the dark place I had began to reside in. She was also right that I had to be healthy for when Eldon woke up; if he'll ever.

But she was wrong on one thing. I wasn't crying because I thought it would make me weak, I owed Tiago my strength so that he wouldn't have to worry about me. I owed him a lot more.

It was afternoon and Tiago and I were sitting in the dining area that was attached to the outside of the medical centre. The sun was shining through the translucent windows contrasting the darkness that lay within me. Tiago picked at his food as I coaxed him to atleast take a few bites.

'Eldon wouldn't want you to starve.' I told him.

'But he's not here.' He whimpered.

I stood from my seat and engulfed him in a tight hug. 'You ought to be strong and healthy for when he wakes up.' I said dosing him with the same concoction that a nice lady had given me. Tiago took a few hesitant bites until he started eating properly.

Though I had no appetitie, I couldn't be a hypocrite and refuse to eat so I took those dreadful bites.

After clearing the table, I set up my laptop on the table and entered the video conference. My friends had suggested that they'd video call us and see how we were holding up. After connecting, I was met by a dozen of familiar faces behind one screen. The background displayed a crawling baby that showed me that they were all at Kris' house.

'Hie Daisy. Hie Tiago.' All of them greeted us with sorrowful looks. We chatted back and forth as I asked them about their well being avoiding any questions about myself. I could see that my friends were worried about me and I did want to tell them hook line and sinker about what was going on. But where would I start?

How could I tell them about a man I met on the plane, Eldon's proposal that I rejected, the man that harassed me, the threat notes I was receiving, the argument I had had with Eldon, the state he was in right now, and the dark place I was in. For the first time ever, I felt like they wouldn't understand me.

'Why did he go out at night though? What had happened?' Kris asked.

There was a moment of silence. Tiago looked at me knowing that only I had the answer causing everyone else to look at me. I melted under the spotlight stuck at a cross road where the only choices were replying or ignoring. Aware of my choice, I stood up leaving Tiago at the table. My legs carried me to a bench outside as my mind went into overdrive.

The amount of problems I was facing were enough to distress a grown man. I sat on the bench, burying my face into my hands and tried to relieve myself in tears. The tears stung but never came; all I released was a deep sigh.

I pulled out my phone and looked through my contacts searching for a name that would provide the comfort I needed. My parents weren't even an option as they hadn't even reached out even though they probably knew what had happened to Eldon. The other multitude were my friends who I had walked out on eliminating them from the equation.

In my scrolling, I came by Riker's name but I couldn't get myself to call him. After the way he spoke to me, I wasn't sure if we were on a clear page. He was the only person I had cried infront of after Eldon's accident and yet he had used that against me. It was to me a sign that crying wouldn't be my coping mechanism, if I had one to begin with.

I knew Riker would be able to provide the comfort that I needed but calling him would kill my ego as well as my self esteem. Against my better judgement, I dialled the contact only to be taken to voicemail. What was he up to that was so important he couldn't pick up his phone?

Just below Riker's name was my brother's, Riley. I didn't have to think twice before I swiped to call him. Unfortunately, it went to voicemail once again. It seemed as if every odd was against me at that time. Like the universe wanted me to suffer in every way possible.

Even my own brother had no time to be on a call with me yet he'd been there for everything else in my life. He was my mother and my father in one, my guardian, my safe space, my rock and my everything.

He was the one to hold my hand whenever we crossed a road on foot. Even when I became aware of traffic signs, he still held my hand. Thinking of those memories dampened my cheeks as the tears poured.

Before I could release all my pent up frustrations in liquid glory, Tiago emerged from the hospital marching towards me. He had barely sat when he asked the burning question.

'Daisy Damaris, tell me the truth. What happened the night before Eldon got into an accident?'

'Haha, that's not my full name. It's Daisy Lorelei Enya Azr... '

'Don't play with me.'
I was petrified by Tiago's stone cold expression. The once chirpy face was now inflamed with rage

'It was nothing.' I lied.