Chapter 16

⚠Trigger warning⚠
*Mention of death*
*Panic disorder diagnosis*
*Violent attempt to awaken a comatose person*

My whole body went numb as I stood there shocked by the words I had heard. I shook my head denying it. It couldn't end like that; it wouldn't. Reviving from my shocked state, I ran into the hospital room. No nurses, not even doctor Simmons tried to stop me. I manoeuvred them until I reached Eldon's lifeless body.

'You cannot go like this Eldon, you promised. You promised.' I raged.  And before I could consult my mind, I smacked Eldon. I hit him; I hit his chest. A nurse pulled me back surprised by my actions but I shook her off me and knelt beside Eldon's bed. 'Please don't go.' I said my throat scratchy and my eyes stinging. I had officially lost my mind.

Riley came in and pulled me away from Eldon allowing the medics to pull a cloth over him. But before they could fully cover him, I heard a distant beeping sound. Doctor Simmons seemed to hear it too as he rushed to Eldon's side and returned the oxygen mask to his face. He instructed a nurse to inject the IVs back into him and before I knew it, there was a uniform beeping sound from his heart monitor.

Before I could decipher whether all that was a dream or reality, my knees gave in and I fell to the floor. My throat tightened and I suddenly felt like I was choking on the hospital air. I felt like I was losing myself with every breath I took. Nurse Simmons ran to my side and administered a breathing exercise that I weakly followed. I counted down from four as I exhaled.

After being assured more than once that Eldon was alive, I was given a hospital room. A female doctor who seemed to be in her late thirties introduced herself as my doctor. She did a physical examination and heart tests as I sat on the side of the bed. I sat there still as she proceeded to draw blood from my bulging veins. The numbness I felt prevented me from feeling any pain. A few more tests were done on me before the doctor came back with a clip board containing my results.

I was diagnosed with a condition of severe panic attacks; they told me that I had a panic disorder. I didn't put much thought into it as I had more pressing things to worry about.

The main reason why it never hit me as hard was my opinion about mental illnesses. I had never believed that one could actually have an illness like depression, anxiety or my current diagnosis. And my opinion still stood even after the doctor was rambling on about my medication dosages, preventative measures and things I should do when I start to panic.

I listened half heartedly before I was dismissed from my room. My feet took me straight towards Eldon's room. By the door, stood Tiago who encased me in a bear hug the moment he saw me. He bored into my eyes as if he could see through my soul with just one look.

'Are you okay? What did she say?'

I shook my head and proceeded to tell him about my diagnosis. I could see his facials reduce to sadness as he took in my whole situation.

'You definitely need a day off from life and I think I know what can help.' Tiago spoke with a suggestive face. My interest peeked at the possibility of the existence of something that could dampen the sadness in my heart. But before he could even tell me, I saw a large group of people gathering infront of the lobby tv. Being the curious person I was, I walked towards the group with Tiago following behind me. As I listened from where I stood, I was able to make out something from the pieces of information. Three houses had been burnt down, there were no deaths but many victims were terribly injured. A police report drew a conclusion that the three cases couldn't have been all a coincidence.

Unfortunately, there were no suspects, no suspicious activity before, during and after the incidents. Whoever had executed the whole thing was an experienced criminal. It sickened me how someone was so heartless that they'd attempt to kill three families at one go.