Chapter 43 - Court day

Riker fell to his knees to apologize to which I lifted him up and hugged him. We hugged for the next 2 hours and I gradually fell asleep in his arms. The man carried me to bed and cuddled me to sleep. The pain in my abs was slowly kicking in, so I chased sleep before the large wave could hit me.

I slept like a baby. Undisturbed. Unbothered. Peaceful. The next morning I woke up in the infirmary. I was back on the machines, the IV, the oxygen mask and the rest I didn't know. The sharp pain I'd felt during my sleep was probably the culprit. I thought I'd been dreaming but really, my 24 hours of sunshine were over.

Just as I opened my eyes, I was met with Riker's looking down at me. 'You're awake.' He reached out to wrap his hands around me. 'I thought...' He hastily stopped. Somehow I knew what he was about to say. I probably had a panic attack in my sleep or something. Probably also scared the living shit out off everyone.

I felt numb all over, must've been the Garcia anaesthetic. Tiago made his way into the room. 'Daisy, how are you feeling?' He sat on my bed next to me. 'Stop acting all concerned when you left me at the club yesterday.' I grunted childishly. 'Megan and I had some business to take care of.' He winked. I gagged. 'Ew okay stop, I don't need to know.'

Tiago took a look at my health chart. I could see his facial expressions saddening as he scrutinized it. He chugged it aside and looked at Riker. It's as if they were having a little conversation with their eyes. 'Your papers just arrived.' Tiago told Riker.

'Let's leave at 9.' He said. 'Where to?' I asked. 'Don't worry about it, focus on getting better.' Riker said and walked out. I threw daggers to his back then directed them to Tiago. 'Tell me.' I demanded. 'Riker is going to court today and then his mom's funeral.' He told me. I wanted to be there too...as moral support.

After much convincing, I was lifted onto a wheelchair and wheeled to the car. Tiago was riding with Riker and the Garcias. So Megan and I took a separate car. 'I shouldn't be doing this. Riker is going to flip when he sees you in the court house.' Megan voiced her regrets.

We were right on their tail as we parked in the lot. Megan and I sneaked in and took the back seats. Riker walked in with a dobell blue tartan 3 piece suit that hugged his body in places that made me bite my lip.

He ambled in with a step of conviction. The man knew what he wanted out of that trial. He sat on the left side and his lawyer on the counsel table. The 7 board of directors took seats on the right side and their representative lawyer right beside them. 'This can only be about company shares.' I whispered recalling a business class I took in school.

'It infact is the case. Riker wants to be the major shareholder of RECSaM.' Megan whispered from beside me.

I looked around intimidated by the court room environment. All the formally dressed people and police officers with ammunition on each corner sent chills down my spine. Nevertheless, I wanted to be there for my man even though he hadn't noticed my presence.

When everyone was settled, a woman walked to an entrance and opened the door. 'All rise for the honourable judge.' She said and everyone abided. Due to my condition, I stayed sitted. All eyes fixated on me and that's when Riker finally noticed me. His face dropped and my heart throbbed heavily. I slightly smiled at him and gave him a thumbs up. He shook his head and face palmed. I smiled once again.

The chubby judge settled down and gave his opening statement. It was all jargon to me.

The plaintiff's lawyer was up first. 'Your Honour, the board of directors from Mr Cho on the left to Mr Bond on the far right all have the adequate qualifications to run RECSaM company. From Bachelors of Business administrations, to Masters of Business Economics, Finance, Marketing and adequate doctorates. Mr Elliot has no qualification but a high school diploma. With this I conclude that Mr Elliot is not suitable to be the major shareholder and owner of RECSaM.' The lawyer smirked and sat down. What a jerk.