ten

DAVINA'S POV:

"Are you hungry?" Matteo asked while swiftly moving around the counter and opening the fridge.

"Yeah a little bit", I mummer and watch as he pulls a carton of eggs and places them on the counter. He opened cabinets and shuffled through drawers while coming up with breakfast.

"What do you want to know about me?" He asked while moving the eggs in the skillet.

God there's so many things I want to ask. Like what is your favorite holiday? Where did you grow up? Why do you like chicken over beef?

But the only words that came out of my mouth were, "What was your nightmare?"

He sighed and made his way over to the counter, leaning over it and facing directly in front of me. I sat there with a cup of coffee in my hand while my brows furrowed, waiting for his answer. "Not many people get like that when they have nightmares. You were... shaking, crying out for help. That's not normal", I protested and looked down at my coffee mug.

His grip on the counter made his knuckles turn white as he shut his eyes tight. He opened them up slowly and began talking, "I've been getting them for a couple months now", he says and walks over to the stove. "I watched my mother get hit."

A gasp left my lips as he continued on, "No medication or therapist seems to help anymore, so I just deal with it."

I couldn't imagine watching my mother die. I think I would fall apart and never be able to look at the world the same. The colors would go black and grey and my mind would be destroyed. I mean he watched his mom die?

How worse could it get?

Before I know it I'm speeding around the counter and hugging him from behind. I noticed his muscles tensed as he furrowed his brows and looked down at me. "I'm so sorry", I whispered and nuzzled my head into his back. His eyes softened and he spun around, grabbing my waist and lifting me on the counter.

"Why are you crying?" He raised an eyebrow and moved his fingers against my cheeks.

I'm crying? I watched as the salty tear left my cheeks and landed on his finger. "No one should go through that", I breathed and watched as his lips turned into a smirk.

"Well here let's change the subject, so it's not so depressing", he chuckles and pulls away.

I feel cold now.

"Matteo."

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry", I say again and feel my heart clench.

His eyes shined with something, but I couldn't exactly see what it was because he quickly replaced it and gave a nod, "Thank you", was all that he said.

I hopped off the counter and walked back to the stool. "Do you have siblings?"

"Nope, only child", he says and places the toast on a plate.

"You know I always dreamed about having a little sister", I grin and place my chin in my palm. "The thought of having someone to grow up with and understand everything wrong in my family seemed nice. Not to mention the road trips and birthdays we would celebrate together,"

"Why didn't your parents have another one?"

"I think my parents grew apart, I suppose", I frowned and swirled my coffee. "After me, father had always been out doing god knows what for work and my mother drank all day and locked herself in her room."

He handed me my plate of breakfast and came around the counter, sitting next to me. "What does your father do?"

Oh, damn was this food good.

I took a bite of the bacon and swallowed, "I have no clue."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that I have no clue what my father does. He goes out on work trips eleven months out of the year and when he comes back he never says what it is he does. I've never known."

"Ok you're switching the subject", I cleared my throat and turned my stool. Our knees touched and holy cow did that send something through me.

"My bad", he rolls his eyes and smirks.

That morning I got to know more about him than I think he's ever told, anyone.

Now it was my turn: Matteo Gomez Creed, grew up in Virginia, has a hateful relationship with crabs (because "they just think there some fucking king because they have claws"), hates the Zoo, has a liking to the beach and is Italian.

Oh, and did I mention his favorite holiday was Christmas?

~

"Are you busy today?" I asked while flipping through the TV channels.

I'm surprised he hadn't kicked me out yet considering my hair looked like a rat's nest and my baggy clothes weren't the most attractive thing.

Matteo came out of the bedroom in a crisp black sweater with checkered dress pants.

His black rings hooked around his fingers and the veins bulging out from under his tan skin.

"Yeah I have some things to do", he said and grabbed his keys off the counter.

Should I stay here or...?

"Oh", I said and gnawed on my bottom lip. "I'll get my stuff then."

He furrowed his brows and grabbed my wrist as I worked my way to the bedroom. "What? No just stay here until I come back."

"Well, I don't think I-

"I said sit here until I come back", he growled and placed a small kiss on my collarbone. My knees turned to jelly as he gripped my waist and pulled me closer. "I won't belong."

A small smile crept onto my lips as his grip tightened. "Well I guess I could", I murmured and sighed.

"I'll be back, chéri", he said before letting me go and walking out the door.

His scent was still lingering.

I wandered along with the apartment, touching every nook and cranny with the tip of my finger. The strange thing was there were no photos or any decorations of his family. The whole apartment was blank and cleared, only modern art paintings were hung on the walls.

It didn't feel like home here like it should. It was cold, bare and even the beautiful city it looked upon seemed more exciting than the place. I wonder if he'd let me put some flowers on the table? Maybe some vines hanging in the corners of the glass that opened up to a balcony.

That would be nice.

I looked through a dresser for a different pair of sweatpants after my shower and found light grey Nike ones. I placed them over my legs and tied the string as tight as possible to keep them from falling.

Then I searched for a different draw for a new t-shirt. Mine wasn't that dirty, but the smell of cologne was wearing off of it.

I opened up the bottom drawer and pull out a fresh new t-shirt.