nineteen

DAVINA'S POV:

I furrow my brows and slowly take a few steps back. I've never heard of him, I don't think. And it's not like I'm gonna be cool with the fact a stranger is leaning on my car.

"I'm sorry but I think you have the wrong person", I say and start to reach in my purse for some damn pepper spray.

"Davina Blackwell", he cocks an eyebrow and I feel my body stiffen. I slowly trail my eyes from my bag to his face and see a bored expression.

"I've been informed by Mr. Creed to give you something."

"Matteo?" I squint my eyes and watch him pull a cardboard box off the top of my car.

"His father", he casually says and gently lays the box in my hands. Its long, rectangular shape sitting on my palms like a feather.

"Why would his father send me something? That's a bit strange considering I haven't met him."

"Just take the gift Ms. Blackwell", he says before walking over to the many cars lined up.

"Oh", he stops and turns around. His muscles flexing under his thin t-shirt. "Never question the boss when you meet him. It will save you some.... breath", he cocks his eyebrow and walks off in solid struts.

I close the car door and double-check to make sure the doors are locked. I place the thin box on my lap and carefully remove the top.

A loud gasp passes through my lips as I look down at the dress. Its glint shining through my eyes and I notice a slip of paper next to it.

The matte black letter corresponding with the wax seal stamp is shaped into a V.

I slowly peel it open and display a little slip of white paper.

Dear Ms. Blackwell,

I see my son has taken a very fawn interest of you, Davina. So as a gift I have sent you the proper attire for a ball I'm hosting. I'm sure my son has mentioned a thing or two.

I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Let's keep this gift a secret, shall we?

From,
Luca Creed

I put the letter back in the box and take a long look at the dress before letting out a sigh.

I don't know what any of it means. The daggers, the random scary guy leaning on my car, the note, or the fact his family is hosting a fucking ball.

Maybe his dad was just being kind? I have no clue, but this feeling in my gut told me it's very far from anything kind.

I let out a groan and place the gift in my trunk. Just as I'm about to start the engine my phone rings.

"Hey", I say and hold the phone to my ear. I hear Matteo let out a breath before speaking up.

"Where are you?"

"I'm about to leave the Cafe."

"Good, are you hungry?"

"Erm a little", I lie knowing damn well my stomach is growling and all I wanna do is devour cheeseburgers.

"Meet me at McDonald's."

I say ok before starting the engine and making my way on the road.

~

I pull up in the parking lot and set the car in park. Matteo rolled down his tinted window and climbed over the seat slightly.

"Let's go through the drive-through then we can eat here", he says and I nod my head.

I didn't really wanna get out of the car so I followed him through the line and sat behind him.

The song "Yellow" by Coldplay lightly hummed from the speakers and I slowly tapped my fingers against the steering wheel.

I pulled up to the speaker and ordered my meal- adding a McFlurry because, well why not?

I pulled into the window to pay, but the lady shook her head and handed me my food.

"The man up there wanted me to tell you, your hot", she lightly smiles at me. "He bought your food."

I feel a grin reach my eyes and I started to laugh. "That son of a bitch."

"Have a good day and don't miss that opportunity", she winks at me as I pull out.

I grab my food and open up Matteo's car- sinking into the leather seats.

"I said you were hot not to get in my car", he scoffs and shakes his head. "Guess I can never give you a compliment."

"Your so not funny", I roll my eyes but try to hide the smile that's pulling on my lips.

We both eat in comfortable silence until the thought of my dress comes up.

"You never told me much about the ball", I say taking a bite of my fries.

He shrugs his shoulders. "It's just some stupid event my dad hosts, but he's planning it at a friend's house this year."

"Why not his?"

"Because I'm out here and he wants to get to know you", he says but I feel my stomach turn.

"Is Andrea and Carter coming?"

"Yeah."

Something about this feels off. But for now, I'll blame it on the social anxiety that's telling me not to go.

"Did you stop by your house for clothes?" He asks and throws away our food. I remember the red mark on my cheek, which will probably turn into a small bruise when I remove the makeup on it. I nod my head and take a sip of my soda.

"Good, you're staying over another night."

"I can't I have to"

"Your staying", he cuts me off and starts the engine. It purrs beneath us and I feel the cold air conditioning coming through the vents.

I feel a finger dip under my chin and I lift my eyes. He stares back I mine and I feel a smile reach my lips.

His eyes fall to my cheekbone at the small cut from my father's ring and his eyes darken.

"Where did you get that", he says in a low voice.

My breathing hitched and his jaw ticked when I tried to find some lie.

"I was being an idiot and scraped myself with one of my rings", I say and hold my hand- showing the silver rings.

He lets out a low, irritated growl and rubs his temples. "Don't lie to me."

"I'm not lying-"

"Don't lie to me", he says more firmly and looks me straight in the eyes.

"My dad's back", I shrug and play with the bottom of my t-shirt.

"Did that fucker lay a hand on you", he grits his teeth and I let out a sigh.

"Don't make it a big deal please."

His head snaps to mine and I gulp down a bit of spit. "If he ever lays a hand on you again. You tell me." He narrows his eyes and I faintly smile.

"I will."

"Good now let's go home."

Home.

I thought about it in the car. The way he said it as if it's our apartment and not his.

I kept my eyes on the road and followed him back.

But I didn't know he was planning something for when we got on the bed.