thirty-three

MATTEO'S POV:

*1 week before*

"Come on bro", Carter says and I grip the steering wheel.

I think I'm gonna throw up.

"We both know what he's gonna say", I turn my head towards him and feel my plans get coated in sweat.

"We don't know that for sure", I feel the bile rise to my throat.

My father said it was time for another meeting, so now we sit in my car outside his office.

It's been one year.

I finally get the courage to get out of the car and make my way up to his door where I knock and hear his deep voice.

"Ahh son", he grins at me as I take my seat and watch Carter take his right next to me.

"Father", I grumble out.

"Do you know what day it is?" He says and I do everything to not vomit all of this desk.

I shake my head.

"Today's one year from when I sent you to New York", he practically whines out of excitement

"Ok."

"Kill her."

I stop dead and widen my eyes.

Oh my fucking god.

"Maybe we can wait a bit longer you know? Get more information out of her deadbeat dad?" I panic and try to come up with so many excuses my whole body shakes.

"Nope", he says and leans back in his chair. "I want her dead. Tonight."

~

I'm hyperventilating.

I'm in my fucking car and trying to compose myself.

I can't breathe.

I can't do this.

Carter left some time ago, and I'm sure he's going to tell Andrea so he can say goodbye.

I walk up to the apartment door and clear any signs of a breakdown on my face and walk in.

"Hey your home early", Davina chirps from the kitchen.

I nod my head and make my way to where she is. Leaning over the stove and cooking up some type of stir-fry.

She turns around and smiles so brightly.

Oh my god.

Her lips meet mine and keep my jaw locked so tight.

"What's wrong love?" She furrows her brows and strokes her finger along my cheek. "Tell me."

"I love you so much", I say and place my hands on either side of her neck. "Ok? I need you to know that."

Her head tilts to the side and she shakes her head before grinning. "I do know that. I love you too baby."

Oh, fuck no.

My mouth parts and tears flow down my face. I'm sobbing against her chest and I cling to her waist so hard I think I'm bruising her.

She frantically moves her hands to my hair and strokes softly.

"Matteo?" She softly says and I can't stop fucking crying.

"Come on let's take a bath", she says and spins around flipping the stove off before holding my hand and taking me into the bathroom.

Once the tub is filled she undressed and me, getting into the tub and I cling to her.

"Tell me what's going on."

I have to think of an excuse because if I don't I think I'll tell her the truth.

"I'm just scared you'll hate me one day."

She lifts my chin and I meet her eye.

"I can never hate you."

But she doesn't know.

Soon enough, she will.

~

We ate dinner in bed and the whole time I'm holding her or staring at her every move.

Finally, when she falls asleep, I lean over to get my phone and send a message to my dad.

Give me one more day?

Fine. But make it painful.- Luca