thirty-six

DAVINA'S POV:

I'm running through the fucking woods, passing every tree stump and the fog floating around in the air.

Branches and leaves crunch under my feet as I take full speed.

New and dried blood is soaking my sweatshirt and bring me to a stop against a tree to catch my breath for a few seconds.

Then I get back on the path and try to find the road somewhere, making sure to keep an eye out for anyone.

I recline my head to the left and look for black pavement, but then I run into something and fall.

Through the pitch-black sky and the fog, I see an outline of a person as I scurry away and stand up.

But then I look more closely and find Matteo standing there.

With a dagger in his hand.

"Please", I choke and step back. "Please don't do this."

"I have to", he whispers and follows me along with every step I take. "Please understand."

"NO!" I cry out when he lunches forward and comes face to face with me.

Tears are cascading down both of our eyes and I feel myself go numb.

I look down and see it.

A dagger shoved so deeply into my stomach.

"Why?"My voice cracks and Matteo catches me as I slowly fall to the ground.

My body crumbling along the icy grass.

My eyes widen and I shake my head in disbelief.

"We'll be running for the rest of our lives, love", he says and a tear falls from his cheek and mixes with mine. "There's no point in that."

My whole body shakes and I feel my head hit the grass.

"I'll see you soon", he whispers and presses a kiss to my head.

And everything's so

far

far

far

away.