Chapter One.

Naipenda nchi ya Kenya na watu wake. Ninaupenda umoja wa Kenya tulio nayo.

Lantana's POV

The sun was scorching hot. It showed no mercy on the parched earth or the slaves working in the farms. I struggled to tend to the tea plantation despite my body protesting. I did not want to get whipped. I saw a homeguard approaching me. I quickly increased my working pace. He stopped right next to me. I closed my eyes anticipating the pain that came from being whipped. But I felt no pain.

"Slave! You there!"he called without any feelings,"come with me. " I quickly followed him lest he get angry and give me even harder work. He took me out of the plantation and into the area of white settlements. I was scared. What was I doing here?

He stopped at a beautiful looking house. My eyes wandered around admiring it's beauty. I hadn't seen anything quite like it before. A maid opened the door. "Here is the maid your master asked for,"the homeguard said. He then left me at the doorstep and left. The maid quickly ushered me into the house. She was friendly to me and I liked her. Her name was Wacii. She gave me a tour of the house and instructed me on how to do my duties. I was hired to cater for for my employer's son.

She told me that the homeguard would take word to my parents about my new job. I wouldn't be staying with them anymore. I would be living at the pretty house now. A stray tear fell down my cheek . I quickly wiped it of.

Wacii showed me the way to the servants quarters and left me to adjust to the situation. After a while,my tummy started rumbling. It was lunch break time. I left the room heading to the kitchen to find even a tiny morsel of food to eat. I bumped into a wall that is if walls are supposed to be strong but soft. I looked up and saw the most beautiful blue eyes I had ever seen. I almost got lost into them.

I had bumped into a young man around my age. He was some inches taller than me. He had ocean blue eyes and blonde hair that looked soft to the touch. He also had deep dimples! Reality came back and I realized that I had looked at my master directly into the eyes. That was worthy of a punishment! I looked at the floor and bowed my head.

He slipped past me and went on his way. I was glad that he didn't take offence at my actions. Maybe I will enjoy working here after all. I went into the kitchen with a big smile plastered on my face.