Chapter Thirteen.

We all say
When I get older
I will be stronger
They'll call me "Freedom"
Just like the Waving Flag.

Lantana's POV

      The next day, I felt a bit bad after running away from Jason. "It's for the best. It's for the best." I kept reminding myself. I wondered what today would hold for me. It was weekend so I was free to visit the Reserves. I had to do my duties first before I left. I dreaded meeting Jason while I was cleaning his room but I had to do it anyway. I headed upstairs, keeping my eyes to the floors. I knocked on Jason's room then entered. Unfortunately,he was sitting on his bed awaiting my arrival. I ignored his greeting and started mopping the floor. "Lantana,can we talk? I don't know what's even going on. Why are you shunning me? Did I do something wrong?"he asked. He sounded so sad and sincere. I hesitated for a while. I couldn't bear to hurt his feelings all over again. "I'll tell you all about it in the evening," I said. He nodded then left the room. That could have gone worse. I sighed and got on with my work.

        When I finished, I set of straight for the Reserves. I had really missed my parents. And of course Masumbi. I went straight to his hut. Luckily, he was seated outside his hut. When he saw me,he smiled and stood up to  embrace me. As we embraced, his neighbor passed by and when she saw us , she gave us a reproachful glare. According to African Culture, a man and a woman were not to embrace or have any physical contact until they were married. We ignored her stares and sat down to talk. I was happy to see him and I felt relaxed after I had told him what had happened. He clicked in anger. He told me that the situation in the orchards and plantations were much worse. Slaves were whipped for no good reason and the workload was increased. Food rations were drastically reduced. All this was to supposedly reduce chances of a revolt happening as the men would be too weak to fight. I'm my mind, I saw that as more reason to rebel against the colonial rule. Masumbi told me to be careful and avoid any confrontation with my masters. After a while, he walked me to my parents home and we said our goodbyes. At that moment I realised how much he meant to me. I had to forget all about Jason. It could never be.

          My parents were well and were happy to see me. I spent the rest of the afternoon with them and I couldn't be happier. I left to head back to my Master's house. I went to the servant's quarters to fill Wacii in with all the latest news but I was meant with the unexpected. Sitting on my bed was none other than Jason. "It's evening now," he said. He was unexpectedly punctual. Just then, Mrs Williamson knocked on the  door. "Lantana,can I come in? We need to talk," she said. Oh no! What now! Jason and I both panicked. If his mother found him here it would be big trouble for both of us. He made to jump outside the window but his father was patrolling the grounds. I slapped my forehead. This boy was already causing so much trouble. I pushed him to hide under the bed. Just before his whole body could disappear under the bed,the door flew open...

Please vote
Comment
Share...