Chapter Seven.

'Changamoto tele anapata,
Machungu mengi apitia,
Ni mpole kama malaika....'

Lantana's P.O.V

Today, Mrs Williamson decided to visit the orchard and pick some fresh fruit for the pie she wanted to bake. As per my work description, I was to follow her and aid her in whatever she needed. She said that if I'm well behaved that day, she would give me a reward. Not that I wasn't behaved the other days but I just nodded,not wanting my words to be misinterpreted as disobedience.

When we reached the orchard, all the slaves working there were lined up and waiting for inspection. My eyes wandered around hoping to locate Masumbi,my best friend. He was assigned to work here. I met his eyes and he gave me a slight smile not wanting to attract any attention to us. I smiled back. Masumbi and I have been best friends ever since we were very young. He always helped me when I was need and I was always ready to aid him if need arose. I really loved him but I was not sure to which extent. He wasn't bad looking at all. In fact, he was far from it. He was your definition of tall,dark and handsome. On top of that,he had a kind heart.

Mrs Williamson finished the inspection and the basket full of fresh apples was loaded into the carriage we came in. Masumbi was the one carrying it. All of a sudden, he tripped and fell hard on the floor. The OHMS guard in charge of the orchard had stuck his foot out and poor unsuspecting Masumbi had tripped. The guard raised his whip and landed one painful strike on Masumbi's back. I winced. I made a move to protest his innocence but stopped when I saw the disapproving look on Masumbi's face. The guard made to whip him again but luckily Mrs Williamson stopped him and told him to leave the slaves alone. She instructed him not to strike any of them. Masumbi was free to go without any punishment. He thanked Mrs Williamson and with a small nod in my direction, he left to continue with his duties.

I sighed and released a breath I didn't even know I was holding. I thanked Engoro for Mrs Williamson's kindness. We left and went home to bake the pies. I made up my mind to visit Masumbi's home as soon as I could. He lived in the African native reserves. I would visit my family while I was there too. I couldn't wait for the weekend to get my free days off.

Vote.
Comment
Share............................