Chapter Fifteen.

At night,
He sighed
He mourned
He cried
He hissed
But yet,
Knew not that which made him sad.

Lantana's POV

        After Mrs Williamson and Jason left, Wacii turned to question me. "What were you thinking Lantana? Why was the master's son here? Do you have a death wish? You know no relationships are allowed between slaves and their masters. Now what is going to happen to you! What if I get dragged into this as your accomplice! Why was he here! Aren't you going to answer my question?" Wacii lectured. I took a deep breath and tried to explain. " I found him here when I came from the Reserves. It wasn't a planned visit. I would never risk that," I told her. " Oh! But you would risk hiding him under your bed?"she said sarcastically,"don't think I haven't noticed you two exchanging glances. Lantana,for your sake and mine, please please please avoid all contacts with him unless work related. And don't you dare develop feelings for him. Why don't you just focus on your friend coming to work here? That's a better option. In fact it's the best and only option. Now let's get to work."

       Wacii didn't leave room for an argument. I just nodded, trying to convince myself to follow her advice. Some of the excitement of Masumbi working here came back. We went about getting all things ready for his arrival. Wacii's mood lifted soon afterwards and we made jokes as usual. A carriage arrived, signalling Masumbi's arrival.  As we walked to the front door, we passed Mrs Williamson and Jason walking down the hall. Our eyes happened to meet. " I'm watching you two," Mrs Williamson said with a chuckle. They went their way. As soon as they were out of sight, Wacii yanked my hair hard. "Ouch! Why did you do that?" I asked angrily. " Well, it seemed like you needed to be taught a lesson after seemingly forgetting all that I told you,"she answered back. " You didn't have to pull it so hard?" I said pouting. She ignored me and we went on.

       Masumbi was standing in the garden looking confused. I quickly ran to his side and gave him a big smile which he returned. Wacii came behind and stood at a small distance. She suddenly looked shy. I wonder why. She didn't even look at Masumbi directly in the eyes. I could ask her about that later. I gave him a tour of the whole compound starting with the stables where he would be working. He was happy to be working here now as there were close to zero chances of him being whipped mercilessly for no reason. His food rations would also be increased and best of all,we would get to see each other every day. The tour ended at his quarters. Wacii, who had been silent the whole tour, and I went back to the main house to get everything ready for the Masters' dinner as Masumbi got settled.

            When Mrs Williamson rung the dinner bell, we quickly set the table and stood at the corner. Just then, we heard shouts coming from  a distance. We all rushed out of the house to see what was going on.  There was a raging fire in the fields and men were rushing to try put out the fire. It seemed to grow bigger by the minute as if fueled by some form of rage. Out of nowhere, a young man came running towards the house and fell at the door. Mr Williamson and Jason helped him up. Once he heard recovered his breath, he turned to Mr Williamson with urgency and said," They are here!".....

A chapter at last.
Please vote,
Comment,
Share.