Chapter Eighteen.

I will pray for all the people of this land
I will hold them close to me
Together one day there'll be sweet harmony
Let's be patient peacefully.....

Lantana's POV

We got home after a few minutes. By that time some of my earlier excitement had returned. I headed straight to the servants' quarters. Wacii was seated on her bed folding some clothing. "Waciiiiiii guess what! I met a guy today. His name is Maingi. He's a Mau Mau fighter. And he is so cute. I think I have a crush on him,"I said breathlessly. Wacii shrieked and jumped up and down. "That's nice. Tell me more. Is he tall? Oh no! I should have asked him if he had news of my brother Kamau. Any way,what did you two talk about?"Wacii asked cheekily. "Yes,he is tall. About 6 feet. He was injured. I found him and helped out. He said he thinks I'm pretty. Look,he gave me this as a token of his gratitude," I said, showing Wacii the comb. She smiled at me. " This is a Mugumo tree. It's held sacred among us Kikuyus. I think he likes you back," she said. We both burst out laughing and fell on the bed. Suddenly, Mrs Williamson entered the room. " You two are certainly in a good mood. Who are we liking?"she inquired. All the previous joy drained from my face. How much of our conversation had she heard? Wacii and I stood up straight and turned to face her. "It's nothing madam,just silly talk," Wacii told her. "Well then,in that case Mr Williamson is summoning you to the living room right now," she said grimly. We nodded.

She turned and exited the room with us at her heels. We looked at each other nervously, wondering what he had in store for us. We reached the living room sooner than we would have liked. Mr Williamson was pacing around the room. Jason was standing quietly in a corner. When he saw us,he stood straight. Mr Williamson finally acknowledged our existence. He turned to face us with bloodshot eyes,raging like a wounded buffalo. "Do you have anything to do with this? I want names of suspects who aided those terrorists!" He yelled, breathing heavily. His wife tried to calm him down but he wouldn't listen. Wacii and I were terrified. " You should all be punished. All of you cursed black people," he finished and stormed out of the room. I gasped. Mrs Williamson gave us an apologetic look and went after him. At that point my eyes opened. And they opened wide. I realized that Mr Williamson was just as bad as the other colonial masters. That just finalized my decision to stay away from Jason.

Speaking of Jason,he came towards me. "Can we talk?"he asked in a low voice . " No! And stay away from me. I don't want to be associated with you. Not now,not ever. Our only relationship is that of a master and his slave,". I told him harshly. He winced but persisted. " Please Lantie, let's talk. Please don't judge me based on my father and other colonial masters. I'm different. I'm my own person," he argued. " The name is Lantana. And LEAVE ME AlONE!"I shot back. I turned and left before he could argue further. But it seems that he had set his mind on this talk and wasn't taking no for an answer. I heard footsteps following me, but they were too heavy to be Wacii's. I started running to get away from him. He started chasing me. It turned to a full speed chase. I ran with all my might, all this while cursing him. This boy will sure be the death of me...

(A/N;
An update at last after like three months. Sorry for the delay. Thanks for all the encouragement you have given me and for giving this book a chance.
Please vote
Comment
Share.
Have a lovely night/day
:⁠-⁠)
)