Chapter Five.

Lantana's P.O.V.

Today, my mistress asked me to accompany her to the market. I was so excited since I'd get to be out and about. I hate being confined. Also, I'd get to see pretty things being sold. We left at around eight o'clock. Jason and his father left at the same time, heading to the plantation. Later they would visit their orchard and harvest some fruit.

The market was bustling with activity. The first stall we visited was one filled with jewellery. They sparkled in the morning sun. For a minute, I was jealous that Africans were not allowed to own any expensive jewels. I sighed. Mother said that during the pre-colonial period, Africans could do whatever they want, own whatever, live wherever and not fear for their lives. Now we are reduced to nothing but mere slaves.

Mrs Williamson bought a few pieces. I have to admit, they looked great on her. We moved on to clothing. She was interested in getting silk and lace. I on the other hand love African print. The delicate colours and patterns are so beautiful to look at. I wonder if the colonial mistresses could pull it off if they tried. Well that was a thought of another day.

Shouts of 'Thief! Thief! Thief! Catch him! Catch that lowly slave!' pierced through the air and ruined the peace. A poor slave man was being accused of stealing his master's new belt. The slave denied all allegations and begged for mercy but his pleas fell on deaf ears. The white started beating him up as us Africans watched in pain and terror. We couldn't intervene since we would be subjected to the same treatment. They got tired and shot the poor man twice in the head. Then fortunately or unfortunately, the dead man's master found his belt. He had left it at the shop he bought it from. The dead man was innocent. The white men shrugged it off as if it was nothing. How could people be this inhumane. Lakini kwa nini? Skin colour doesn't make us blacks less human.

The rest of the day, I was awfully quiet. Mrs Williamson asked me to forget about it but I couldn't. I wondered if I'd suffer the same fate if I did something that didn't please my masters. I made a resolution not to disobey orders and avoid them if necessary. It made me wonder if Jason also had a side that I didn't want to see. When we got back home, I told Wacii what had happened. She was also horrified. I knew she would understand it. Later, I went to bed with myriads of thoughts crisscrossing my mind like swords in a jihad.

Vote
Comment
Share................