Chapter Four.

Lantana's P.O.V

        The next day,it was back to business as usual. I wore my maid's uniform and went to clean Jason's room. Hopefully he was there. What was I thinking. It was better if he wasn't there so that I could work without any disturbance. I walked into his room with a bucket and a mop in hand. There was no sign of him. Good. I immediately went to work not wanting to end up in trouble for neglecting my duties. We all know how that went. I could end up getting whipped if my master was kind enough. Most were locked up in a dark room and denied food and water for days. The worst was being locked up in an iron pit. Imagine being locked up inside a pit made of metal dug into the ground on a hot day! I shook those thoughts out of my head and continued to work.

            As I was cleaning, I saw a beautiful card on Jason's desk. It was addressed to me. I was surprised and excited at the same time. I opened the expecting to find pretty words written on it but it was blank. But there was some 'Out Of Africa' chocolate inside. "I didn't know what to write so I just got you some chocolate," Jason said. I nearly jumped out of my skin. I hadn't seen him enter the room. Once my heartbeat was normal again, I smiled at him. And he smiled back. I was screaming in my head. I was sooo crushing on him. He stepped into the room and sat on his bed. He gestured to the side next to him and I got the signal. I sat next to him then he started talking. We talked about random things. He was so interested in learning about the African culture. He also gave me some books to read. But I couldn't read that much since some English words were too hard for me to read. He promised to teach me how to read better and pronounce some words. It would be difficult to understand how he pronounced words with his British accent but I was willing to learn. Jason was just so nice.

            He excused himself to go and check on the plantations. I went back and was soon done cleaning his room. It wasn't even that dirty. I went back to the kitchen to see if Wacii needed any help or had any chores for me to do. She needed help preparing lunch since the mistress needed her help with arranging some items. I made some rice with beef stew. I hoped the masters liked it. I set the table for dinner and stood in our corner. The Masters thoroughly enjoyed my meal and complimented me. I was so happy. Mistress wanted me to be her assistant now aside from my duties. I loved the idea. I could learn so much from her. 

         I went to bed happy that night. Life at the Williamson's house was fun after all.........

Vote
Comment
Share