Chapter Three.

(Dedicated to LyssahTraicey)

Lantana's P.O.V

I met my masters later that day. They had just come back from visiting a friend. We set the table for them to have their dinner. We stood at a corner with our heads bowed down since slaves weren't allowed to eat with their masters. All through dinner, I kept stealing glances at Jason. When my eyes met his, I looked for something else to focus my eyes on, even if it was the roof. That made him smile. I liked the fact that he noticed me but I knew nothing would blossom because of our difference in race and status. As they were eating supper, Mrs Williamson, Jason's mother, spoke to Wacii and I. " I hear that there is an African Cultural Festival tomorrow. Would you two like to attend it?"she asked. I nodded yes but Wacii said no. I was surprised at her behavior. The masters finished their meal and retired to bed. We cleared the table and washed the dishes then went to our room.

When we were in the confines of our room, I asked Wacii the reason for her answer earlier. She said she didn't want to go because she was afraid that the OHMS guards could ambush the party and whip us. Especially the men. Whatever punishment we got,they got it twice worse. Not that that hadn't happened before. I told her not to be so negative and then went to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up bright and early. I wore my best clothes, not that I even had a selection to choose from. I got lucky enough to have a look at Jason before I left. He looked great as ever.His deep dimples were visible as he talked to his parents. He smiled at me when he noticed me. I smiled back, trying very hard to hide the fact that I was over the moon. I went straight to the African Reserves. Many people had already arrived before me. The women were bustling about, cooking food and making sure that everyone was comfortable. The men were playing music and chatting. After an hour or so, we all gathered round in a circle and started singing and dancing. It was a great experience. The most popular song,OBORI BWA BABA was sung.I quickly joined in. It goes like:
Ekebwe' ngiakura manga inse
'Baba motengera Nya.ngweso'
'Obori bwa baba ekeande'
'Amaemba 'baba' matogoro'
'Ee nyangweso yachci.yaboria'

We had a lot of fun at the festival. We ate traditional foods like obokima,managu,marurano,matoke,aamanyabwari and many others. We broke off in the evening. Everyone was happy and refreshed after long hours of torturous work.

At home, I was relieved from work and after supper, I went straight to bed. I told Wacii all about the festival and she kinda felt sad that she missed it. We said goodnight then went to sleep. Well that was a day well spent.

Vote
Comment
Share.