Chapter Fourteen.

At dusk,he grinned
He laughed
He screamed with joy
But yet,
Saw not the source of his delight.

Lantana's POV

        The door flew open. In walked Wacii and Mrs Williamson. Jason's foot was still sticking out from under the bed. There was no time to do anything to hide him now. I closed my eyes and muttered a quick prayer to my ancestors begging them to save me from this predicament. "What were you doing?" Mrs Williamson asked. Her voice revealed a hint of anger. She hated to be kept waiting. I kept my eyes down and apologized to her,while standing at an angle that would hide Jason's foot from view. "I'm sorry Madam,I had fallen asleep,"I replied. "At this time of the day? Now that's just suspicious. You are always up and running," she said, not sounding convinced. Oh no! What do I do know? I was so going to beat Jason up for causing all this trouble.

         " Anyway, I've got something to inform you two. And I know you especially ,will be pleased with this information. Mr Williamson needed a new hand to help out with tending to the horses and guess who will be transferred to work here?"she said cheerfully. Wacii and I just shrugged, wondering who it could be. "Well, it's that slave you were smiling at when we went to the orchards last month. Don't think I didn't notice. Nothing ever goes unnoticed past me."she continued. That meant Masumbi was going to be working here and we could see each other more often. I couldn't help but jump with joy. Mrs Williamson was amused by childishness and laughed. Wacii just smiled.  Jason just thought that that was the perfect time to sneeze. No! No! No! Now we'll definitely be caught. Luckily for me, Mrs Williamson seemed not to notice. Wacii on the other hand gave me a questioning look. She knew that someone else must be in the room with us. But she didn't say a word.

        "Well I'm leaving you two in charge of cleaning one room for the new worker and giving him a tour of the grounds, which I know Lantana will be happy to," Mrs Williamson said, giving me a knowing grin and wiggling her eyebrows. "I'll leave you two to it now. " She turned to leave then stopped. " And Jason, get out from under that bed,"she added. My heart stopped beating for a moment. How did she know he was there? Jason crawled out from 'hiding'  and gave his mother a sheepish smile. Wacii's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. She almost fainted.  Mrs Williamson just laughed and lowered her voice saying,"  I told you, I know all and see all. We'll talk about this later Lantana." And with that she turned and exited the room with Jason in tow.

           What was going to happen to me now? How could my ancestors fail me like that. I sighed and sat on my bed. Well, I'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Please vote
Comment
Share.....