Chapter Eight.

'Nenda Ulaya we mama ukasome
kizungu'

Lantana's P.O.V.

         The week finally ended and I was allowed to visit the African Native Reserves. Wacii also had the day off. She really needed it. We left early, heading in the same direction but split up later along the way. Although we were both going to the reserves, Wacii and her clan lived in a different part. My first stop was my home of course. My parents were seated outside the hut. Mother was weaving a basket while father was playing the 'nyatiti' a local music instrument. "Bwairire"  I greeted them. They were so happy and surprised to see me. My brother was currently taking care of the few livestock we had. Coming to think about it,we were lucky to have a small family. The District Officer made us pay hut tax. The more huts you had the more money you had to pay,not that we even earned a large amount of money. Just five cents per week.

          After spending a few hours with them,I went to Masumbi's house. His mother was delighted to see me. She told me that Masumbi was inside his hut. Boys were not allowed to live inside their mother's hut after initiation. They had their own hut known as 'isiimba'. He was just about to leave the hut. I gave him a big hug. We held hands and walked to our favorite spot. It was secluded and had ample supply of fruits and water. The water at this part of the river was so clear that you could see the fish swimming in it. Masumbi had carried his harpoon with him so we got straight to fishing. Masumbi speared the fish and I put the ones he caught inside the basket we carried. We caught five fish. We spent the remainder of the day chatting and sharing the latest village gossip. Mama Nyaboke's son was getting married. It was long since Masumbi and I chatted since I didn't live in the reserves any more. We went home near dusk. We split the fish. I took two while he took the rest since he had a bigger family. For a long time since I changed working places,I had time to bond with my best friend and family. I was happy to sleep on my mat again. Sleep just came faster that day and I dreamt of what the future might hold for me.........

Vote
Comment
Share.................

Special thanks to cecilcess,NeymorhNderitu and LyssahTraicey for all your continuous support.