Chapter Eleven.

Konke engikufunayo kuse Africa
All I need is right here in Africa
Konke engikufunayo kuse Africa
All I need is right here in Africa
And I ...I love you Africa
I love you Africa
I love you Africa
I love you yeah

Lantana's POV

     There in the garden was Mr Williamson and a few other white masters. There was also a slave tied to a whipping post. The Masters were standing around him in a semicircle. Mr Williamson was holding the crocodile whip. He took a swing and landed a blow across the slaves back. Wacii and I winced and blinked in horror. Mr Williamson whipped him again. I couldn't believe my eyes. I had perceived Mr Williamson to be a kind and gentle person. Seeing him whipping that slave mercilessly made me change my mind. All whites were the same. They hated Africans and we're merciless. Did Jason have a mean streak too? Maybe having feelings for him was not a good idea.

     We continued to watch as the slave was beaten. The Masters ignored his cries of pain and pleadings for mercy. What did he think he was? Stone? They seemed to think blacks were not human beings. The poor slave gave one final kick and died. His clothes had been reduced to tatters and his flesh to mere chunks of meat. They picked up his body as if he was a rag doll and threw it into a cart that was going to dispose off his body. We were horrified.

     We ran to our room before the Masters noticed that we were snooping. There,we broke into tears and mourned the loss of another African to cruelty by the whites. We cried about our situation as slaves and squatters on our own land. I made up my mind to cut all ties with Jason. It was all for the best. That day was gloomy and filled with sadness. Wacuka was even more worried about her family. She couldn't sleep a wink all night. I tried staying up with her but eventually I fell into a restless sleep full of nightmares.

Vote
Comment
Share.