Chapter Twenty.

Naishi, natumaini, najitolea daima Kenya
Hakika ya bendera ni uthabiti wangu
Nyeusi ya wananchi na nyekundu ni ya damu
Kijani ni ya ardhi,nyeupe ya amani
Daima mimi Mkenya mwananchi mzalendo.

Lantana's POV

     Night was falling fast and I was feeling drained. My mind replayed the conversation with Jason earlier and I could not help but feel a little bad for the guy. I was being a little unfair to him. But he also had to understand that we were very different and society was not going to approve of anything between us. His mother was already proof of that. Besides I think I like someone else. Maybe. A little bit. My thoughts kept fleeting back to my encounter with Maingi earlier. I could not deny the fact that I was attracted to him. Or maybe it was the spirit of rebellion and hope of freedom in him. Either way,pursuing a relationship with him would have no barriers. I really hoped he was okay,that his wound would heal well and that we would see each other again. Suddenly,I remembered that I was supposed to meet up with the OHMS guard near the forest. I decided to wait till everyone was asleep before sneaking out. I continued with my duties in order to stay out of trouble. Last thing I needed was to enrage my already furious masters.

Jason's POV

     My mother led me to the drawing room where my father was seated,still fuming. My mother shot me a look to mean that we would have a serious discussion later then proceeded to sit next to my father. My father then turned to me and said," Jason, it is about time that you involve yourself in matters concerning administration of the area. You are old enough so there is no excuse. These cursed slaves have time and again tried to overthrow our rule but we all know that that is pointless. Thay are not united and do not have the know-how to rule themselves. But the situation is getting out of hand now. They cannot go around destroying our plantation and killing good white citizens. We are going at a loss here. In order to affirm our authority in the area,it has been decided that tomorrow,ten blacks suspected of assisting the Mau Mau terrorists will be flogged mercilessly tomorrow in front of all the slaves in order to serve as a warning to all who may dare to assist the rebels."

         I was shocked. Mother looked a little pale too. "Were they given a fair trial and found guilty?"I asked him. He laughed ruthlessly. "The key of successfully ruling a population of slaves is to kill any stem of rebellion immediately it springs up. There is no room for fairness.  After all,we are doing it for their own good. They should be grateful for us for trying to civilize them, the poor savages. You are a bit too soft. Should I pull strings and let you participate directly in the flogging in order to remove that tiny bit of softness I sense in you?"he said. I was speechless. I had never seen this side if my father and never even thought it could exist. "I'll pass," I told him. "Very well. But remember,there is no room for sympathy," he said. He dismissed me with a wave of his hand. I left the room and headed for my bedroom. My mother followed me, saying nothing until we were both inside my room. She shut the door behind us and after a moment of silence said,_ You heard your father. Please leave that girl alone. She will get into so much trouble if your father ever gets the slightest inkling that you have a relationship with her. Please,do it for her own sake." She gently touched my shoulder then left my room. I sighed and thought about her words. I moved towards the window in order to get some fresh air. It was a good move as I was just in time to see Lantana sneaking out of the compound in the dark. Where was she going this late at night? Well, I'll just have to follow her to find out.....

A/N:
Finally,an update after a looooong while
Updates unfortunately are not hot to be regular for now but will work on a regular updating schedule in December.
Please feel free to share your thoughts on this .
Don't forget to vote, comment and share:⁠-⁠)